Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Hey there. I looked up the meaning everywhere, I googled it several times but I couldn't find the meaning of it.

What does "twatage" mean?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Context? Because the only reference I could find remotely close to it is "twat", and that's not a word you want to use.

PS: I found this reference: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twatage. Keep in mind that urbandictionary.com deals mainly with slang/informal language.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A slang coinage that I suspect is not destined to survive. It refers to how much textile material is covering a woman's private parts.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
UK
Current Location
India
strange but interesting slang :roll:

Chlieb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hi i want to ask if is this sentence right: "your favorite tweaks across the globe"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
your favorite tweaks across the globe

It's not a sentence, but it's OK as a phrase. In most contexts, it should start with a capital letter.

Please start a new thread for a different question.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A slang coinage that I suspect is not destined to survive. It refers to how much textile material is covering a woman's private parts.

It could also be used to assess how much stupidity was involved in something- I have heard it used this way in the UK.

In BrE, tw*t as a verb can mean hit someone, so it could be used to describe a level of violence, I suppose,l though I haven't heard this used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with the level of stupidity suggestion. The word "twat" is slang for both a vagina and an idiot. It's used more commonly for the latter meaning and, in that context, in BrE, I would say it's not considered particularly offensive. I call people twats all the time - bad drivers, people who don't say "Thank you" when I hold a door open for them, my flatmate when he makes a really bad joke. On that basis, I would understand and accept "He's demonstrating a high level of twatage today". I might even spell it "twattage". I don't know. I've never written it down! I can also imagine something like "What a load of old twatage", rather than "a load of old rubbish/twaddle".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American slang, it doesn't mean slap or idiot. It just means vagina. But it's often used figuratively. In American slang, the suffix -age is a humorous form of pluralization. So though I've never heard the word twatage, it would seem, in American slang, to be a crude word for women.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So though I've never heard the word twatage, it would seem, in American slang, to be a crude word for women.
Not if you've read the Urban Dictionary entry, the link posted in #2.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Agreed. It'd be more likely to survive if it had a double t. Compare 'Satan' and 'wattage'.

b

Yes, it sounds like a play on wattage, which already has a double-T. Since twat doesn't, I think the author can get away with twatage.

PS - There used to be a feminist rock band where I live called the Twatones. Can't remember the music, but I'll always remember the name.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, it sounds like a play on wattage, which already has a double-T. Since twat doesn't, I think the author can get away with twatage.

Neither does "admit" have a double 't', but "admittance" does. So, IMO, the author believes​ s/he can get away with it, when they don't.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Twot is an alternative BrE form, so twottage would also get the pronunciation of wattage.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Twot is an alternative BrE form, so twottage would also get the pronunciation of wattage.

If it were to survive, the pronunciation could be double, as is in "garage". ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.