Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
New to the forum and just wanted to ask a quick question.

Is the "I got on my high horse" an idiom in the sentence... "I got on my high horse, I said I’m notgoing on those elephants that’s exploitation"

Additionally, am I right in saying that this is a conditional clause? "
Please call us on +44(0) 7360036 if you would prefer to take out your adoption over the phone."

Thanks,
Fraser

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
New to the forum and just wanted to ask a quick question.

Is the "I got on my high horse" an idiom in the sentence... "I got on my high horse, I said I’m notgoing on those elephants that’s exploitation"

Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for an idiom, your first port of call (after Google!) should be to click on the word "Reference" at the top of each page, then click on "Idioms". From there, you can look at them alphabetically, or do a search. If you had, you would have found this: On your high horse - Idiom Definition - UsingEnglish.com

Your other question is not about idioms so you should start a new thread about the conditional clause within the "Ask A Teacher" section of the forum.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"I got on my high horse, I said I’m notgoing on those elephants that’s exploitation" Wrong
"I got on my high horse. I said, 'I'm not going of those elephants - that's exploitation.'" This is one correct rendering of your sentence, but you can't join three sentences with commas or run ons.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To get on one's high horse is indeed an idiom, but it is not normally used in the first person because it is pejorative. He got on his high horse means that he began lecturing or talking down to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.