Broadly speaking=To speak not so exactly?a lot of details=a lot of detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiya Raymond

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Broadly speaking=To speak not so exactly?
a lot of details=a lot of detail?

Broadly speaking/To speak not so exactly, I like north more than south. Are both correct? And is there better way or phrase to express that meaning?

Thanks a lot!

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"To speak not so exactly" is never used in spoken or written English.

"Broadly speaking, I like [the] north more than [the] south" is correct. You could also say, "In general, I like the north...." or "As a rule, I like the north..."

Also, "a lot of details" does [in general] mean the same as "a lot of detail"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means "There may be exceptions to this general rule, but overall it's more true than not."

So if you say that broadly speaking, you like living in the north more than the south, but admit you like to visit a particular beach town in the south, you are still speaking the overall truth when you say you prefer the north.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hiya Raymond

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It means "There may be exceptions to this general rule, but overall it's more true than not."

So if you say you that broeadly speaking, you like living in the north more than the south, but admit you like to visit a particular beach town in the south, you are still speaking the overal truth when you say you prefer the north.

I like the sentence "There may be exceptions to this general rule, but overall it's more true than not." But how to understand "So if you say you that "? Is that an ellipsis sentence?

Thanks a lot!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I like the sentence "There may be exceptions to this general rule, but overall it's more true than not." But how to understand "So if you say you that "? Is that an ellipsis sentence?

Thanks a lot!

It's a typo. "If you say that broadly speaking..." is what Barb meant to write.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks a lot!

Note that I have corrected the typos in Barb's post so her post doesn't look exactly like the one you quoted any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.