[General] Does these two sentences mean the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I am writing an email to sell something and I plan to end the email with 1) or 2):

1) Let me know if you are interested
2) If you are interested let me know.

Qn A) What are the differences of 1) and 2)?

Qn B) Do 1) and 2) both mean that the reader should only reply if the reader is interested in the offer? So if the reader is not interested they will not reply anything?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am writing an email to sell something and I plan to end the email with 1) or 2):

1) Let me know if you are interested.
2) If you are interested, let me know.

Qn A) What are the differences of 1) and 2)? 1 is missing a period; 2 is missing a comma. 1 is more natural, but they mean the same.

Qn B) Do 1) and 2) both mean that the reader should only reply if the reader is interested in the offer? So if the reader is not interested they will not reply [STRIKE]anything[/STRIKE]?
You are asking the reader to reply if they are interested. I'd be very surprised if you got a response from someone who wasn't interested - still, that would also apply if you left out the entire line.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note your subject line should be "Do" not "Does"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Opinion 2:
Sentence 1 could sometimes mean "Let me know whether you are interested [or not]." In that sense you could expect some replies from people who aren't interested. This only occurs if 'if' means 'whether'. In the context you've chosen though, I wouldn't expect anyone to let you know they weren't interested.
Two sentences of this type could have different meanings (both ambiguous without a context).
1. "Let me know if you are a woman." You could expect most people to answer this if it was an official request.
2. "If you are a woman, let me know." Only women need answer this.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Opinion 2:
Sentence 1 could sometimes mean "Let me know whether you are interested [or not]." In that sense you could expect some replies from people who aren't interested. This only occurs if 'if' means 'whether'. In the context you've chosen though, I wouldn't expect anyone to let you know they weren't interested.
Two sentences of this type could have different meanings (both ambiguous without a context).
1. "Let me know if you are a woman." You could expect most people to answer this if it was an official request.
2. "If you are a woman, let me know." Only women need answer this.

"This only occurs if 'if' means 'whether'."> Can you show me an example?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"This only occurs if 'if' means 'whether'."> Can you show me an example?
I've given you two.
"Let me know if you're still having problems." Here are the two meanings:
Meaning 1: "Only let me know if you're still having problems. If you are not having problems, don't let me know." In this case, it's the same as "If you're still having problems, let me know."
Meaning 2: "Let me know whether you're still having problems." Here "if" means "whether". I'm asking you to tell me if (whether) you are still having problems, and I expect to hear from you whether you are or you aren't.

In other terms, the sentence can mean either of these:

procedure If:
If (you still haven't worked it out) {
Then:
,,,,let me know;
Else:
....don't let me know;
}

procedure Whether:
If (you still haven't worked it out) OR (you have worked it out) {
Then:
....let me know;