Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hello, I'm new here and i'll be so grateful if you answer my question
I wanna know what is the grammar of this sentence : "Gone are the days"
I'm faced with this new pattern " done+be+ something" and I haven't learnt about that. please tell me when we use this structure and what is the difference between this and for example "the days are gone".
thank you

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, and welcome to the forums.

Before I answer your questions, please do note that we expect people to use their best attempt at English. Not capitalizing words like "Hello" and "i" (when it's clear you have the knowledge to do so), and using fake words like "wanna" will limit the people who answer your questions.

You'll get the hang of it soon.

You have an inverted form with "gone are the days." Sometimes people use it artistically and sometimes there are just some set phrases where we're used to seeing it that way. There is no difference between saying "Gone are they days when you could pretend you tried to called - Caller ID will make a liar out of you" and "The days are gone when you can pretend you tried to call..."

Inversions are sometimes necessary (when you start with something negative) but in your example, it's just used because the person liked the way it read that way.

Mar Jan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you for your answer. And I'm grateful that you mentioned importance of not using mistakes in writing.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hello, I'm new here and i'll be so grateful if you answer my question
I wanna know what is the grammar of this sentence : "Gone are the days"
I'm faced with this new pattern " done+be+ something" and I haven't learnt about that. please tell me when we use this structure and what is the difference between this and for example "the days are gone".
thank you

There is a rule governing the subject-verb inversion in your statement. When a sentence begins with a predicate adjective (the adjectival complement of a linking verb), the subject and verb are inverted. As Barb, said, this usually results in a construction that is somewhat poetic.

Other examples:

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
So beautiful was the lady that I was instantly smitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.