Best resource for preparing grammar lessons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexpetifer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi guys,

I'm currently teaching English online via video conference. I have no official teaching qualification (I cannot currently afford one), but I have studied languages to a high degree at university level and I have a growing number of regular students who are pleased with the lessons I offer.

Up until now, my lessons have mostly been conversation/vocabulary-based, but I would like to begin teaching grammar. Legal reasons aside, I do not simply wish to do this directly from a textbook to which I do not own the license. My question, then, is as follows:

Does anyone know of any TEFL grammar textbooks or courses that have a license that is free or cheap for individuals?

Beyond that, does anyone know of online TEFL courses or resources with a strong focus on grammar, or how adequately to prepare grammar classes for students?

Thank you very much in advance for all advice or suggestions.

renard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If you are an untrained teacher, I would suggest starting with Betty Azar's grammar books and website (Welcome to AzarGrammar.com). I have a degree directly related to TESL and we had entire courses dedicated to writing lesson plans and teaching grammar, but nearly all the materials we used were course packages designed by the instructor. Teaching a grammar class is very similar to teaching other topics. Make sure you know your metalanguage (some students have amazing grammar knowledge), but don't overuse it during the lesson. What level?

renard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Principles of Language Teaching by Brown is an excellent book which would be useful to an untrained teacher. It is quite broad but discusses teaching grammar in the classroom and how to implement it into lessons that focus on the basic four skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing). I highly recommend that you purchase it and read it front to back!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Principles of Language Teaching by Brown is an excellent book which would be useful to an untrained teacher. It is quite broad but discusses teaching grammar in the classroom and how to implement it into lessons that focus on the basic four skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing). I highly recommend that you purchase it and read it front to back!

Would you recommend reading it back to front too? ;-)

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Quite subjectively, after so many years of studying grammar I found 'A Teachers' Grammar' by R.A.Close so insightful that now everything (almost :oops:) falls into place. On a more practical note, Betty Azar's 'Fun With Grammar' for lower levels and 'Exploring Grammar in Context' by Ronald Carter, Rebecca Hughes and Michael McCarthy, CUP, for Upper-Intermediate and Advanced seem to be not bad. As for the on-line activities, you might want to Google search the particular topic you need adding 'on-line practice / exercises / activities' and you'll have an abundance to choose from. I am quite happy with Random Idea English blog as it has both some theory and on-line exercises. Also, you might want to explore Slideshare.net, time permitted.

alexpetifer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I just wanted to send everyone who responded to this thread a very belated thanks!! I really appreciate the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.