[Grammar] of/on/about/concerning/regarding or all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi!

Many important people will attend that high-level meeting which/that will be held in the next month. ( I know it is possible to remove "which/that" and write "will be held". But could I remove "will be held" and put "be held" to shorten a bit more grammatically?)

Students who attend Model United Nations conferences will have a high-level discussion of/on/about/concerning/regarding current global issues. (which one is more suitable to use correctly? of/on/about/concerning/regarding or all? Also please let me know if the context is okay, because it is self-made)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
WELCOME TO THE FORUM, Chakma. :hi:
Many important people will attend that high-level meeting which/that will be held in the next month. ( I know it is possible to remove "which/that" and write "will be held".
You are mistaken. You cannot write just "... that high-level meeting will be held in the next month". You could, however, write "... that high-level meeting to be held in the next month"

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Then is it grammatically wrong or according to the context? I hope more response. I still didn't get my answer. I am waiting with a great patience.:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then is it grammatically wrong or according to the context? I am waiting with a great patience.:)
"Many important people will attend that high-level meeting will be held in the next month" is grammatically wrong.

As for the preposition, 'on' is the one I'd use, though 'about' and 'of' are acceptable, in my opinion.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I wonder-how can it be grammatically wrong? There is subject+verb+prepositional phrase.:shock:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I wonder-how can it be grammatically wrong? There is subject+verb+prepositional phrase.:shock:
There is no subject for 'will be held'.

Mensu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

"Many important people will attend that high-level meeting
will be held in the next month."
You've used two verbs([will attend] and [will be held]) in one sentence without an clause. So it's grammatically wrong.

Here is a grammatically correct version:
Many important people will attend that high-level meeting which will be held in the next month.

Yet I would think using "to be held" is more natural.

FYI

Mensu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi!

Many important people will attend that high-level meeting which/that will be held in the next month. ( I know it is possible to remove "which/that" and write "will be held". But could I remove "will be held" and put "be held" to shorten a bit more grammatically?)

Students who attend Model United Nations conferences will have a high-level discussion of/on/about/concerning/regarding current global issues. (which one is more suitable to use correctly? of/on/about/concerning/regarding or all? Also please let me know if the context is okay, because it is self-made)

Grammatically it's impossible to remove "that/which", for the "that/which" here replaces the subject of the sentence "that high-level meeting will be held". You may remove them when they replace the object of a sentence.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

"Many important people will attend that high-level meeting
will be held in the next month."
You've used two verbs([will attend] and [will be held]) in one sentence without an clause. So it's grammatically wrong.

Mensu, the underlined part of your own post is ungrammatical.

Please read this extract from the forum's
Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I just removed "which/that" as it is grammatically possible.

How about the following sentences?

Many important people will attend MUN(model united nations) conference which/that will be held in the next month.
Many important people will attend MUN(model united nations) conference which/that to be held in the next month. (This may be natural and most acceptable)

Can't I remove "which/that"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I just removed "which/that" as it is grammatically possible.
It isn't possible in the original sentence.
Many important people will attend the MUN([STRIKE]m[/STRIKE]Model [STRIKE]u[/STRIKE]United [STRIKE]n[/STRIKE]Uations) conference which/that will be held in the next month.
Many important people will attend the MUN([STRIKE]m[/STRIKE]Uodel [STRIKE]u[/STRIKE]United [STRIKE]n[/STRIKE]Nations) conference [STRIKE]which/that[/STRIKE] to be held in the next month. (This may be natural and most acceptable)

Can't I remove "which/that"?
Not in the first. You must remove it in the second.

Mensu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am sorry I didn't follow that:( Thank you so much for reminding me about that!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can say:

... the meeting that will be held.
... the meeting to be held.

You cannot say:
... the meeting will be held (in your original sentence)
... the meeting that to be held.

Status
Not open for further replies.