Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

In business email communications with the clients which are the similar words for Please and Kindly.

Example:
Please find the attached file.

Kindly revert for any clarifications.

thanks

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

In business email communications with the clients which are the similar words for Please and Kindly.

Example:
Please find the attached file.

Kindly revert for any clarifications.

thanks

The words "please" and "kindly" are polite and appropriate, but at least in AmE, "revert" would be odd. We would be more likely to use "reply".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't think there are any synonyms for please or kindly in business correspondence.

Many people in India must work in English but doubt their ability to do so. Therefore they are inclined to use and insist upon antiquated standard forms. They mistakenly believe that will prevent them from making mistakes.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think there are any synonyms for please or kindly in business correspondence.

Many people in India must work in English but doubt their ability to do so. Therefore they are inclined to use and insist upon antiquated standard forms. They mistakenly believe that will prevent them from making mistakes.

What do you think about "revert"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Indian English uses forms that may sound old-fashioned and/or strange to speakers of BrE and AmE. This does not mean that these forms are used by people who doubt their ability to speak English. Indian English is as valid a variety as any other variety and these forms are not mistakes. 'Revert' is commonly used in Indian English, and is perfectly acceptable in that variety.

Of course, speakers of Indian English may have to adapt their language if they wish to work in, for example, the UK or the USA. However, speakers of BrE and AmE who wish to work for Indian companies in India would be well advised to adapt their language.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Indian English is a real thing. Whatever they do as a community is, by definition, not mistaken.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think it has a perfectly good meaning that is not synonymous with "reply."
'Revert' does indeed have a perfectly good meaning that is not synonymous with 'reply' in Br E and AmE. However, in Indian English it is often used when we speakers of BrE and AmE would use 'reply/respond', and that is correct - in Indian English.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

What do you think about "revert"?

Having worked as a business person in India, I can confirm that "revert" is used in business correspondence as a synonym for reply or get back to you.

bibin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I haven't got the answer for what I asked for...
Discussion is happening between reply and revert.

I am looking for a similar word as please or kindly.... Can anybody help?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I haven't got the answer for what I asked for...
Discussion is happening between reply and revert.

I am looking for a similar word as please or kindly.... Can anybody help?

As Barb said, you have got your answer. There is no other single word you can use instead.

You could replace please with 'I would really be very grateful if you could possibly find a moment or two of your precious time to revert for clarification', but life's too short, and time's money in the business world.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.