Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here's an intonation exercise from a textbok for students majoring in English (a long time ago I was one of those who was taught with its help))). I think I wasn't a very good student, because now that I am trying to use some intonation exercises from this textbook for my students, who major in other languages and English is their additional specialty, I realized that I can't feel the difference in intonation in the sentences below (and here's the link to the audio file: 132_p.116_Intonation_Ex.2.mp3 ? ??????.???? ).
Could you listen to the exercise and tell me if there are really different intonation patterns there (one should choose one pattern out of two offered for each sentence in both sections). If yes, could you tick the sentences with the first intonation pattern in each section?

Section 1
Section 2

Безымянный.jpg

Attachments

• Безымянный.jpg
    Безымянный.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Or, at least, could you share your opinion about this exercise? Is it worth doing with students (when studying the English phonetics)?

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Or, at least, could you share your opinion about this exercise? Is it worth doing with students (when studying the English phonetics)?
What might be the purpose of such activity?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can see the purpose of exercises such as this. Unfortunately, I can't get the volume high enough to be able to tell whether this particular one is a good exercise.
What might be the purpose of such activity?
Intonation is, unfortunately, negelected by many teachers. This is a pity, because so much meaning can be conveyed by intonation and, at a basic level, good stress and intonation are at least as important as accurate pronunciation of phonemes in ensuring that one can be understood.

Exercises such as this can be very useful in helping learners recognise and produce appropriate intonation.

Status
Not open for further replies.