[Grammar] Postcards/A postcard/The postcard ? and holiday/holidays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mensu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

1. A postcard always spoils my holiday.
2. The postcard always spoils my holiday.
3. Postcards always spoil my holiday.

Which would be correct and natural English?

I mean "postcard" in general, not a particular one.
I've learned that "A Noun", "The Noun" and "Noun s" can all refer to the "Noun" in general. For instance:

A tiger is a dangerous animal.=The tiger is a dangerous animal.=Tigers are dangerous animals.

So I would think all of #1,#2 and #3 are correct. Are they?

By the way, should I say "my holiday" or "my holidays"? I mean "holiday" in general.

Thank you very much in advance!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Which would be correct and natural English? I mean "postcard" in general, not a particular one.
#3 is the most natural; #1 is possible, though ambiguous. #2 is not possible in the sense you are talking about.
I've learned that "A Noun", "The Noun" and "Noun s" can all refer to the "Noun" in general. For instance:
A tiger is a dangerous animal.=The tiger is a dangerous animal.=Tigers are dangerous animals.
You could say, "The postcard was a feature of the British summer holiday for over a century" - that is talking about the general idea. In your sentence you are talking only about postcards you received or sent.
By the way, should I say "my holiday" or "my holidays"? I mean "holiday" in general.
Both are possible.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Which would be correct and natural English?

I mean "postcard" in general, not a particular one.

So I would think all of #1,#2 and #3 are correct. Are they?

Thank you very much in advance!

I understand your confusion. The analogy between postcards and tigers doesn't work. The meaning of "a tiger" is an individual tiger. The meaning of "the tiger" can be a specific tiger or tigers in general. Postcard, in your use, does not have a "general class" definition like "tiger" does.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm interested to know how a postcard can spoil your holiday! ;-)

Mensu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm interested to know how a postcard can spoil your holiday! ;-)

It is a sentence from a passage:
Postcards always spoil my holidays. Last summer, I went to Italy. I visited museums and sat in public gardens. A friendly waiter taught me a few words of Italian. Then he lent me a book. I read a few lines, but I did not understand a word. Everyday I thought about postcards. My holidays passed quickly, but I did not send cards to my friends. On the last day I made a big decision. I got up early and bought thirty-seven cards. I spent the whole day in my room, but I did not write a single card!

Status
Not open for further replies.