I understand the Americans do not like the word "toilet" when it is used in a request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I understand the Americans do not like the word "toilet" when it is used in a request

I understand the Americans do not like the word "toilet" when it is used in a request.

For example, " I would like to go to the toilet." Do the British feel it is inappropriate? When I was in primary school, my classmates and I always ask our teacher "May I go to the toilet." We were learning British English.

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: I understand the Americans do not like the word "toilet" when it is used in a req

I've observed that 'restroom' or 'bathroom' seem to be preferred by a lot of Americans, but I wouldn't say they 'do not like' the word 'toilet'.

They'll answer for themselves when they get up later.

Rover

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: I understand the Americans do not like the word "toilet" when it is used in a req

It's fine in BrE.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

It is rather close to the bone in AmE, as it refers to the porcelain bowl one sits on while voiding one's.... vesicles, as opposed to French, where it literally means, or used to mean, the tiny mirror one used to groom oneself, and by extension, the room where this and other things were done. I'm not sure what the Brits picture when they hear the word, but here, it's quite graphic.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It's not graphic to us. Some prefer the word lavatory, but this is a class thing rather than a euphemism- toilet is seen as non-U.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

While we may ask where the toilets are in a pub or restaurant, many of us speakers of BrE use the word loo in our own or other people's houses.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I understand the Americans do not like the word "toilet" when it is used in a request.

For example, " I would like to go to the toilet." Do the British feel it is inappropriate? When I was in primary school, my classmates and I always ask our teacher "May I go to the toilet." We were learning British English.

Thanks.

The phrase is used in AmE, but often only with children. A mother might ask a child "Do you have to go to the toilet". But this refers to the actual functions that are associated with the porcelain fixture.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

My apology. I've made a serious blunder. It should be Americans as indicated in bold below.

For example, " I would like to go to the toilet." Do Americans feel it is inappropriate? When I was in primary school, my classmates and I always ask our teacher "May I go to the toilet." We were learning British English.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"May/Can I go to the toilet?" is perfectly acceptable in BrE, as is "Where are the toilets?" (in a restaurant etc) or "Where is the toilet?" when in someone's house. Many British houses used to have a small room just containing the actual toilet and a separate room containing the bath, shower, sink etc. If you had asked a British person 40 years ago "Where is the bathroom?" (which is the standard question in AmE), they would have directed you to the room with the bath, shower, sink etc. They would not have directed you to the room which actually contained the toilet.

As 5jj said, in BrE, we tend to say "Where's the loo?"

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

I would like to hear from another American on how they perceive the request: "May I go to the toilet?" I believe they will think it is very rude to put my request in this way.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I would like to hear from another American on how they perceive the request: "May I go to the toilet?" I believe they will think it is very rude to put my request in this way.

I'm not exactly an American. I'm a Canadian, which is very close as far as our English and our culture is concerned.. "May I go to the toilet?" is not at all rude, but would never be heard in our dialect.

The thing is, permission is not required unless you are a child in school. American culture assumes (and has built the infrastructure to match the assumption) that toilets are always and everywhere available. Therefore the question of permission does not arise. When you need to go, you go; no discussion required.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Another voice from America, chiming in! :cool:

It's mainly a matter of register and setting, I think.
  • A request from a student could use toilet/bathroom/restroom interchangeably, although they would be steered progressively toward the latter as they got older.
  • At a college party, you could easily hear, "I gotta go to the toilet, bro!"
  • At a nice restaurant, it would be, "Excuse me, where is the restroom?"
  • At someone's home, "Could I use your bathroom?" (This one sounds dumb to me in places where clearly there are no baths to be had...)
The same person could use any of the above, depending on the settings described. And needless to say, I'm not speaking for every region or even everyone in my town - culture, socioeconomics and age have an impact, too.

Personally, I avoid the word toilet, and had a very hard time even asking for les toilettes when I was in France this summer! In fact, I and quite a number of people I know have adopted the BrE word "loo", to avoid the whole "toilet" and "bath" problem all together.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It's not "very rude" but it is not at all euphemistic. And we prefer these things to be spoken of euphemistically. In a public place, you would ask where the "rest room" or the "ladies' room" is.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Here in the Philippines, they use comfort room.

Status
Not open for further replies.