Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Good evening,
I am writing a short tale as a homework. My teacher told me not to mix various tenses and use simple past.
Now I have a pro blem with one sentence:
"It was not surprising that her property was diminishing and she was always thinking about how to get property for her gambling."

I don¨t know if I broke the gramatical rule. So I changed the sentence to this one:

''It didn't surprise that her property diminished and she always thought about how to get property for her gambling."

Is it OK?

Thanks in advance, Jiri.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good evening,
I am writing a short tale as a homework. My teacher told me not to mix various tenses and use simple past.
Now I have a pro blem with one sentence:
"It was not surprising that her property was diminishing and she was always thinking about how to get property for her gambling."

I don¨t know if I broke the gramatical rule. So I changed the sentence to this one:

''It didn't surprise that her property diminished and she always thought about how to get property for her gambling."

Is it OK?

Thanks in advance, Jiri.

We don't do homework for people. The teacher wants to see your work, not ours.

JiriLindovsky

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I¨m sorry, but could you answer anyway?
I don¨t want you to do my homework, btw it will be much longer. Please corrrect the only one sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even if it is only one sentence, it is still your homework. It would be completely unfair for us to do this. When you submit homework to your teacher, it must be entirely your own work. Your teacher has no interest in our version of the sentence. Your teacher wants to see how you write it. Then your teacher will see what you know, what you understand and where you are making mistakes - then he/she will be able to teach you better.

JiriLindovsky

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
OK, I will tell the truth. It is not a homework. My girlfriend asked me this question. I don¨t know what¨s it for.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The same goes for your girlfriend's homework.

JiriLindovsky

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It¨s not a homework. And,btw, who is this web for, my gosh. For nobody.

This site if for learners to learn from. It is not for cheaters. Pardon us for being suspicious, but we have heard it all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This thread is taking an unhelpful turn.

JiriLindovsky, I'm sorry if you feel that this forum has not helped you. However, so far in this thread, you have claimed that this is your homework, then that it is not homework, and then that it is a question from your girlfriend. You can hardly be surprised if we feel as if we are being fed a line (or two or three).

When you have a specific question about the English language, with context, and which is not for homework, feel free to ask it and you will find us most helpful.

For now, I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.