Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Sometimes I seem to hear "eleven" or "eletrical"'s first vowel as "ʊ" or "ə" or reduced schwa as in "eleven"'s "e" sound. It's really been a mystery which of the three it is. It's highly likely it's the third reduced schwa, but there seems to be no sound symbol except for "ə". I think you know "eleven"'s "e" sound is a weaker sound - almost non-existent or dead sound - unlike "about"'s "ə", but both take the form of schwa. I need your kind explanation.

eleven [ɪ[SUP]|[/SUP]levn], electrical [ɪ[SUP]|[/SUP]lektrɪkl], book[bʊk] about[əbaʊt]

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
These pronunciations vary euphoniously according to context. In saying "ten, eleven, twelve" or "some electrical problem" the initial e tends towards the schwa, but more or less depending on people's accent and how rapidly they are speaking. But in "electric motor" or "eleven quarts of milk" the inital e is sounded as "ee".

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
By schwa, do you mean /ə/ in about[əbaʊt] or dead or weak schwa e in eleven? I think the sound I heard is very hard to define as either of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.