Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would you be so kind to tell me whether I've heard the boy in this video (YouTube) correctly?

It seems to me that in some words he pronounces /θ/ as /f/ and /ð/ as /v/, for example:

3:51 I worked in anoth(/v/)er cool centre...
4:27 ...'cos I th
(/f/)ought it would be... 6:22 The cool th(/f/)ing...

Is it so, and can his accent be identified?

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You heard correctly. he is from South-East England.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I do my best to be non-judgmental when it comes to accents, but I have to admit that this and similar accents make me cringe. The skin colour, gender, education, job, appearance, physical/mental (dis)abilities, etc of my daughter's partners do not bother me at all. If she came home with a partner who spoke like that, I'd disinherit her.

:oops:

ps. I having been a teacher most of my life, and a TEFLer for a good part of it, she wouldn't lose much. :-(

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He sounds Mockney to me- the /f/s and /v/s are grafted onto suspiciously long vowels.

Zote

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I have problems with [ð]. When I hear it, it sounds like [d] to me.
When I try to pronounce it, I put the tongue between the teeth and blow, but it sounds like [v] and I think I am saying [z̪] (Voiced dental sibilant fricative).

Will I be understood without problems if I talk in English and replace [ð] with [v], [d] or [z̪]?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Will I be understood without problems if I talk in English and replace [ð] with [v], [d] or [z̪]?
You'll probably be understood, but you will sound strange.

Try: "Put the front of your tongue against the back of your front teeth. Let the air pass through as you breathe out. [...] Hold the sound, and add your voice."

Kelly, Gerald (2000), How to Teach pronunciation,Harlow: Longman Pearson.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Or, try /f/ and /v/, and then try to make the same sounds with your tongue touching your upper incisors, instead of your lip.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I do my best to be non-judgmental when it comes to accents, but I have to admit that this and similar accents make me cringe. The skin colour, gender, education, job, appearance, physical/mental (dis)abilities, etc of my daughter's partners do not bother me at all. If she came home with a partner who spoke like that, I'd disinherit her.

:oops:

After watching Alfie, I'd have to say I agree.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One of my schoolmates, an intelligent girl from a well-off family, could not for the life of her say the "th" in the middle of words. Interestingly, she had no problem with it at the beginning of short words so "the", "this" and "that" were OK. However:

brother = bruvver
mother = muvver
other = uvver
another = anuvver
thunder = funder

I used to try to help her in the school playground, getting her to say the single syllable "bru" and then, after a short pause, say "the king". As long as there was a gap, she was fine. She could say "bru ... the king". However, when I got her to do it faster and faster, she lost the ability. As soon as "bru" ran directly into "the king", she would say "bruvverking". It infuriated me!

Status
Not open for further replies.