I have volunteered as a student tutor (remedial teacher?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sutemi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
I study in a high school for adults and I have volunteered to teach anyone with difficulties in learning English. I have already taught a few classes and it's been really fun and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I teach on my own, without virtually any supervision, and I decide my own agenda, so I don't know if "tutor" or "teacher" is the right term. You can decide that for yourself.

The reason I'm writing all this is that the students are expected to have something like B2 skills (writing, reading and listening, but not speaking), and I feel that the older students have something like A2 or B1 skills. I don't have much time, and I can't get the students to learn on their own. They simply rely on the remedial classes for learning.

Summa Summarum: No teaching skills, I'm alone, I have 2-3 students, and I have about 10 to 15 lessons to upgrade their skills from A2 to B2. Speaking skills are irrelevant.

Any advice how to pull this one off? What would you do?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the limited time available, there is little you can do. If they are at A2/B1 level, you are not going to get them up to B2, especially if they won't learn on their own.

If the school has aims for this type of volunteer help, someone should be giving you some suggestions. Is there no-one you can ask?

If not, console yourself with the fact that you are probably helping them a little.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I always explain to such students that I am more of a coach, and they are the athlete. Who has to run the laps around the track? Who has to do the work? You should tell them up front that they need to make improving English their own personal full time hobby if they want to succeed. Tell them that in addition to the lessons, they need to get out there and USE their English. Speaking with real people, participating in clubs such as chess or bridge, talking to sales people at the shopping centre, reading, watching the news, watching movies, and listening to the radio. And then they really need to get to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.