Is the short u sound the stressed schwa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngabriel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello.

I've been kind of dissecating the language and I found a bit of a problem when trying to separate words. The dictionaries around all transcribe the words with schwa sounds, but when I heard a teacher separating the words she didn't said the schwa, she said some other vowel similar to an short u sound, as in luck.

For example: if I separate the word adorable (which Cambridge dictionary transcribes as /ə'dɔː.rə.bl/), would be: a.do.ra.ble.

If you stress the two a's in there, would they sound as two short u's (ʌ.'dɔː.rʌ.bl)?

Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In most dialects of British English, the neutral, relaxed, unstressed vowel that we produce in, for example, the, about, potato, adorable, is always different from the /ʌ/ vowel we produce in, for example, luck, money, etc.

If you artificially stress the unstressed vowels in any word, they are likely to sound like a different vowel.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

I've been kind of dissecating the language and I found a bit of a problem when trying to separate words. The dictionaries around all transcribe the words with schwa sounds, but when I heard a teacher separating the words she didn't said the schwa, she said some other vowel similar to an short u sound, as in luck.

For example: if I separate the word adorable (which Cambridge dictionary transcribes as /ə'dɔː.rə.bl/), would be: a.do.ra.ble.

If you stress the two a's in there, would they sound as two short u's (ʌ.'dɔː.rʌ.bl)?

Thanks in advance.

I presume you mean "dissecting"?

ngabriel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I presume you mean "dissecting"?

Oh yes, you're right! I mixed up with portuguese, my first language. Our word for that is ''dissecar''.

Status
Not open for further replies.