Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 1,996
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    a different type

    1-If you push any of these buttons a type of drink will flow out of the machine.


    2-If you push any of these buttons a different type of drink will flow out of the machine.



    I think '2' makes it clear that to each button corresponds a particular kind of drink. In '1' that is not really that clear since it leaves open the possibilty that the same kind of drink will be obtained by pushing any button. But can't one use '1' instead of '2' ?

    Gratefully,
    Navi.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,079
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: a different type

    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan View Post
    1-If you push any of these buttons a type of drink will flow out of the machine.


    2-If you push any of these buttons a different type of drink will flow out of the machine.



    I think '2' makes it clear that to each button corresponds a particular kind of drink. In '1' that is not really that clear since it leaves open the possibilty that the same kind of drink will be obtained by pushing any button. But can't one use '1' instead of '2' ?

    Gratefully,
    Navi.
    I don't find either of them natural. I find it hard to imagine any context where I would want to use either of them.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 1,996
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: a different type

    Thank you very much Bhiasahab,

    They have this kind of machine in a lot of fast food restaurants. There are different buttons, or levers, and each corresponds to a particular kind of drink. You push any button and a particular kind of drink flows out of the machine.

    Maybe the idea is not expressed clearly in my original sentences.

    Gratefully,
    Navi.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 1,790
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: a different type

    not a teacher

    This is one way of saying it clearly.
    "Each button, when pushed, causes a different type of drink to flow from the machine".
    Last edited by JMurray; 29-Aug-2013 at 16:48.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,079
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: a different type

    Quote Originally Posted by JMurray View Post
    not a teacher

    This is one way of saying it clearly.
    "Each button, when pushed, causes a different type of drink to flow from the machine".
    I would say that the different drinks are dispensed by the machine. I find the idea that they flow from the machine rather bizarre.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: a different type

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I don't find either of them natural. I find it hard to imagine any context where I would want to use either of them.
    Someone has to write the user manuals for soda machines. Someone has to write instructions for workers at a fast food franchise.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: a different type

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I would say that the different drinks are dispensed by the machine. I find the idea that they flow from the machine rather bizarre.
    Fluid flows. I don't see what is bizarre about it. "Dispense" is certainly an option, but I don't see where "flow" is bizarre.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: a different type

    Maybe it's BrE, but it could suggest a lack of control over the liquid coming out- it sounds bizarre to me too.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 1,790
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: a different type

    not a teacher

    Clearly I don't consider it bizarre either, but if I were talking informally to someone about the machine, I wouldn't put it that way. It would be something more succinct like "Each button gives you a different type of drink", the rest is obvious. I don't know the intended context of the OP's example so I just tried to offer something with a similar tone.
    Last edited by JMurray; 30-Aug-2013 at 02:24.

Similar Threads

  1. my type vs my ideal type
    By keannu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Nov-2012, 11:41
  2. Type-0 - Type 1
    By ridvann in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Jan-2012, 16:51
  3. Not my type
    By Super Sonic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2010, 07:12
  4. type of trust or type of trusts?
    By musicgold in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2008, 19:20
  5. some type of etc.
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2007, 01:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •