Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello teachers,
I checked Forest vs. Jungle in the search box of the forum but couldn't find any related thread.

I checked it on Google and found some websites but they were not helpful. I also checked the definitions in WR Dictionary but have some problem understanding their difference. I really don't know their difference. Aren't they synonyms? How do they differ from each other?

For example suppose that there are many wild animals. Then you call it a forest or a jungle?

No source/self made
Thank you

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Jungles" are usually tropical rain forests.

The sense of "jungle" is that it is in some wild, exotic tropical place. There are certainly overgrown and dense, nearly impenetrable areas of vegetation in my native state of Pennsylvania. But they are forests, or woods, not jungles.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For example suppose that there are many wild animals. Then you call it a forest or a jungle?

That would depend on the animals- northern forests may have bears and wolves, but they're not jungles. Jungles are tropical IMO.

EnglishtreeESL

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello teachers,
I checked Forest vs. Jungle in the search box of the forum but couldn't find any related thread.

I checked it on Google and found some websites but they were not helpful. I also checked the definitions in WR Dictionary but have some problem understanding their difference. I really don't know their difference. Aren't they synonyms? How do they differ from each other?

No source/self made
Thank you

I live in the Northwestern U.S. and we have a lot of forests. Both forests and jungles have a lot of vegetation, but typically a forest is drier, cooler, usually has conifers (cone bearing trees like pine, fir, etc.) and has a more open landscape. Also, forests are often in areas of steep terrain, mountains, hills, etc. A jungle, on the other hand, is usually very dense with vegetation, is hot, is relatively flat and does not include conifers. Both jungles and forests have animals but they vary greatly. A forest will have mammals such as bears, deer, elk, badgers, squirrels-most of which live on the ground and jungles have completely different type of animals-many of which live in the trees and forest canopy.

Status
Not open for further replies.