Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it best for a teacher to set specific goals for a class? If so, how is tha best done? How often should tests be given to see if the goals have been achieved? How does a good teacher correct a student without discouraging the student?:?:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it best for a teacher to set specific goals for a class? If so, how is tha best done? How often should tests be given to see if the goals have been achieved? How does a good teacher correct a student without discouraging the student?:?:

In reviewing your profile I see that you are a lawyer who is volunteering as a teacher and I applaud you for that service. But it would seem to me that the organization for whom you volunteer should have some form of curricula/guidelines that would provide answers to your questions. In any case, the questions you pose would require, in my opinion, much more discussion/response than would be possible here in this forum. If it is convenient, I suggest you visit your local community college and speak with its department head responsible for ESL instruction. Having said all that there may be other opinions from other frequent responders in this forum.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is it best for a teacher to set specific goals for a class? If so, how is tha best done? How often should tests be given to see if the goals have been achieved?
I agree with what bill said. What follows is therefore very superficial.

You need to have some form of aim/goal/objective for a class. If you don't, why are you there?

Ideally the objective should be clearly measurable, for example, 'By the end of the lesson, learners will demonstrate their ability to use the form the past tense of {list of x irregular verbs} by writing six sentences about what they did yesterday'. This is measurable in that you can check the six sentences to see if they have formed the past tense correctly.

How does a good teacher correct a student without discouraging the student?
There is no simple answer to this question. Pick up ideas from colleagues and find out which ways work best with your learners.

bilinguallearner

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I totally agree with the two posters above and I would add, find yourself a mentor. What the experienced teachers around you for a few weeks and pick out the one you admire most and ask if you can watch their classes to learn from their expertise. Goal setting with students is crucial, so a mentor can really guide you to do this in the best way possible.

Hope this helps,
StephanieCheck out our latest ESL teaching guides, ESL for Beginners Two and Culture Explorers, as well as lots of free downloadables @ Products | Bilingual Learner

Status
Not open for further replies.