Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Elisângela Lopes da Silva is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The issue of gender

    What is the possessive pronoun to be used in this case?

    Many young people have difficulties to find your first job. One of the reasons for this fact may be the lack of working experience. A person who has never worked don’t know how carry out well his duties and may even causes damage to a fragile equipment for example. This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur.

    Thanks a lot

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The issue of gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Elisângela Lopes da Silva View Post
    What is the possessive pronoun to be used in this case?

    Many young people have difficulties finding their first job(s). One of the reasons for this fact may be the lack of working experience. A person who has never worked doesn’t know how to perform his/her duties well and may even cause damage to a fragile equipment for example. This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur.

    Thanks a lot
    One way to use singular pronouns and avoid the gender problem is contained in my corrections above.
    Another way is to use the plural pronoun "their". This is very common these days, but some people still object.
    A third way is to use the plural. You started with the plural. You could continue with that.

    Many young people have difficulties finding their first jobs. One of the reasons for this fact may be the lack of working experience. People who have never worked don’t know how to perform their duties well and may even cause damage to fragile equipment for example. This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 01-Sep-2013 at 22:31. Reason: Fixed HTML

  3. #3
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The issue of gender

    You will also see "A person who has never worked doesn't know how to perform their duties ...". This avoids the somewhat messy "his/her". Some people don't like this use of "they/their" but it is now so widespread it really has to be considered to be acceptable.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 01-Sep-2013 at 22:43.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The issue of gender

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You will also see "A person who has never worked doesn't know how to perform their duties ...". This avoid the somewhat messy "his/her". Some people don't like this use of "they/their" but it is now so widespread it really has to be considered to be acceptable.
    How did you get the strikeout to work?

  5. #5
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The issue of gender

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    How did you get the strikeout to work?
    Initially, I tried to change the brackets and retyped the words but for some reason that didn't work. In the end, I hit "Go Advanced" and used the strikeout button from the toolbar. I have no idea why it didn't work your way or mine.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,744
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The issue of gender

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Initially, I tried to change the brackets and retyped the words but for some reason that didn't work. In the end, I hit "Go Advanced" and used the strikeout button from the toolbar. I have no idea why it didn't work your way or mine.
    Thanks for fixing it. I struggled for a while and then gave up.

  7. #7
    TomUK is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The issue of gender

    Not a teacher!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elisângela Lopes da Silva View Post
    ...the lack of working experience. ...
    I would write "...the lack of work experience"; see also work experience - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com. This is the expression I usually come across, but I think "...the lack of experience working" might also be possible.

    TomUK

  8. #8
    Elisângela Lopes da Silva is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The issue of gender

    Is there someone that doesn't mind to correct the rest of the text I wrote? I have to sit an English examen at University tomorrow, and I must write a very good text.

    This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur. Besides, some of them think to be a waste of time and money training their staff. On the other hand, there are certain advantages in hiring young workers: generally they are very dedicated and receive a half pay. Returning to where we started, how to get the first job? If you have good qualifications, you will also have good opportunities. So, study a lot, do courses to further your qualifications; update your skills with proper training. If you are already looking for a job, be really patient. You should scan adverts, prepare for interviews and try to make good impression at them. And after earning your first wage, don’t spend it on shopping, put your savings in a bank. Your will make a fortune, if save your money.

  9. #9
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The issue of gender

    If it's tomorrow, relax, have a glass of Sambuca, and do your best. For language and literature exams, you can't make any difference unless you do a 6-week preparatory programme, at least.

  10. #10
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,502
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The issue of gender

    Quote Originally Posted by Elisângela Lopes da Silva View Post
    Is there someone that doesn't mind to correct the rest of the text I wrote? I have to sit an English examen at University tomorrow, and I must write a very good text.

    This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur. Besides, some of them think to be a waste of time and money training their staff. On the other hand, there are certain advantages in hiring young workers: generally they are very dedicated and receive a half pay. Returning to where we started, how to get the first job? If you have good qualifications, you will also have good opportunities. So, study a lot, do courses to further your qualifications; update your skills with proper training. If you are already looking for a job, be really patient. You should scan adverts, prepare for interviews and try to make good impression at them. And after earning your first wage, don’t spend it on shopping, put your savings in a bank. Your will make a fortune, if save your money.
    Is this the text you plan to write at your exam?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Gender help
    By SupriyaShetty in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2010, 12:22
  2. a black-hat issue and a white hat issue?
    By japanjapan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2009, 07:52
  3. gender
    By Clark in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2008, 07:59
  4. gender
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2003, 21:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •