Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Italy
What is the possessive pronoun to be used in this case?

Many young people have difficulties to find your first job. One of the reasons for this fact may be the lack of working experience. A person who has never worked don’t know how carry out well his duties and may even causes damage to a fragile equipment for example. This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur.

Thanks a lot

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the possessive pronoun to be used in this case?

Many young people have difficulties finding their first job(s). One of the reasons for this fact may be the lack of working experience. A person who has never worked doesn’t know how to perform his/her duties well and may even cause damage to [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] fragile equipment for example. This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur.

Thanks a lot

One way to use singular pronouns and avoid the gender problem is contained in my corrections above.
Another way is to use the plural pronoun "their". This is very common these days, but some people still object.
A third way is to use the plural. You started with the plural. You could continue with that.

Many young people have difficulties finding their first jobs. One of the reasons for this fact may be the lack of working experience. People who have never worked don’t know how to perform their duties well and may even cause damage to fragile equipment for example. This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You will also see "A person who has never worked doesn't know how to perform their duties ...". This avoids the somewhat messy "his/her". Some people don't like this use of "they/their" but it is now so widespread it really has to be considered to be acceptable.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You will also see "A person who has never worked doesn't know how to perform their duties ...". This avoid the somewhat messy "his/her". Some people don't like this use of "they/their" but it is now so widespread it really has to be considered to be acceptable.

How did you get the strikeout to work?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How did you get the strikeout to work?

Initially, I tried to change the brackets and retyped the words but for some reason that didn't work. In the end, I hit "Go Advanced" and used the strikeout button from the toolbar. I have no idea why it didn't work your way or mine.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Initially, I tried to change the brackets and retyped the words but for some reason that didn't work. In the end, I hit "Go Advanced" and used the strikeout button from the toolbar. I have no idea why it didn't work your way or mine.

Thanks for fixing it. I struggled for a while and then gave up.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Italy
Is there someone that doesn't mind to correct the rest of the text I wrote? I have to sit an English examen at University tomorrow, and I must write a very good text.

This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur. Besides, some of them think to be a waste of time and money training their staff. On the other hand, there are certain advantages in hiring young workers: generally they are very dedicated and receive a half pay. Returning to where we started, how to get the first job? If you have good qualifications, you will also have good opportunities. So, study a lot, do courses to further your qualifications; update your skills with proper training. If you are already looking for a job, be really patient. You should scan adverts, prepare for interviews and try to make good impression at them. And after earning your first wage, don’t spend it on shopping, put your savings in a bank. Your will make a fortune, if save your money.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If it's tomorrow, relax, have a glass of Sambuca, and do your best. For language and literature exams, you can't make any difference unless you do a 6-week preparatory programme, at least.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is there someone that doesn't mind to correct the rest of the text I wrote? I have to sit an English examen at University tomorrow, and I must write a very good text.

This is a risk that most employers don’t wish to incur. Besides, some of them think to be a waste of time and money training their staff. On the other hand, there are certain advantages in hiring young workers: generally they are very dedicated and receive a half pay. Returning to where we started, how to get the first job? If you have good qualifications, you will also have good opportunities. So, study a lot, do courses to further your qualifications; update your skills with proper training. If you are already looking for a job, be really patient. You should scan adverts, prepare for interviews and try to make good impression at them. And after earning your first wage, don’t spend it on shopping, put your savings in a bank. Your will make a fortune, if save your money.

Is this the text you plan to write at your exam?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Italy
I don't know the topic of the writing exam, ... What do you think about this? Is it so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.