Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Austria
I have to admit that commas and independent clauses are often a challenge for me, and I would value some comments on these:

Participants of the action learning group study their everyday operations and are actively looking for opportunities to learn.

• The role of the team coach is to support the group to reach its goal and ensure security for learning.
  • If you feel that certain values and principles should be followed by the team and individuals should act accordingly
  • If you would like to promote a coaching culture and spread it as good practice across the organization
  • •If you would like common values to turn into behaviours and try them in a secure environment
    •If you would like participants to further develop cooperation and would like to build on it in the future
    •If members have a common project , and their learning experience can be improved by regular reflection and learning from it

They all come from a workshop I was attending.....

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
  • The role of the team coach is to support the group to reach its goal, and ensure security for learning.
I'd use a comma. Without it, the reader might think that the role of the coach was to support the group (1) to reach its goal and (2) to ensure security.

I'd say, " help the group to reach it's goal' or 'support the group inr eaching its goal'.

• If you feel that certain values and principles should be followed by the team, and individuals should act accordingly
A comma stops the reader thinking that the values and principles should be followed by both teams and by individuals. I's also add a 'that' before 'individuals'.

markcomp

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Austria
Thanks for this, I could not see the wood for the trees. Much appreciated

• The role of the team coach is to support the group to reach its goal, and ensure security for learning.
I'd use a comma. Without it, the reader might think that the role of the coach was to support the group (1) to reach its goal and (2) to ensure security.

I'd say, " help the group to reach it's goal' or 'support the group inr eaching its goal'.

• If you feel that certain values and principles should be followed by the team, and individuals should act accordingly
A comma stops the reader thinking that the values and principles should be followed by both teams and by individuals. I's also add a 'that' before 'individuals'.

Status
Not open for further replies.