Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    sb70012 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    1. I have worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.
    2. I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    Hello,

    I know that #1 is correct but what if I say Worked? Is #2 correct as well or not?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    1. I have worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.
    2. I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    Hello,

    I know that #1 is correct but what if I say Worked? Is #2 correct as well or not?

    Thank you.
    I'd say 2 is wrong. Perhaps others will not agree, but 1 is definitely far preferable to 2.

  3. #3
    sb70012 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    Thank you. What about?: 3. I had worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,765
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    Thank you. What about?: 3. I had worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.
    No, you can't say that. You could say, after you had started to work again with children, "I had worked with children before, so I knew what to expect in my new job."

  5. #5
    sb70012 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    Ok thank you. Now it's clear that sentence number 2 is incorrect, I myself have made an estimation but I am not sure whether my estimation is right or not. Would you please be nice enough to comment on my estimation? Thank you.

    2. I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    This is my estimation: In my opinion 2 (worked) is incorrect because simple past is used when we put a specific time. For example:

    I worked with children 2 years ago.....
    or
    I worked with children in 1998......

    The word (before) is not a specific time.

    Is my estimation right?

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    Ok thank you. Now it's clear that sentence number 2 is incorrect, I myself have made an estimation but I am not sure whether my estimation is right or not. Would you please be nice enough to comment on my estimation? Thank you.

    2. I worked with children before, so I know what to expect in my new job.

    This is my estimation: In my opinion 2 (worked) is incorrect because simple past is used when we put a specific time. For example:

    I worked with children 2 years ago.....
    or
    I worked with children in 1998......

    The word (before) is not a specific time.

    Is my estimation right?
    Yes.

    I have worked with children before so I know what to expect.
    I worked with children last year so I know what to expect.
    I worked with children for ten years in the 1980s so I know what to expect.
    I had worked with children before so I knew what to expect.
    I had worked with children for ten years in the 1980s so I knew what to expect.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] He has been working/has worked in the same job for thirty years.
    By naweewra in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2013, 09:34
  2. past tense or past perfect - worked or had worked
    By thomas615 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2011, 04:49
  3. How long has ... taught/worked in vs. taught/worked at
    By dshaw002 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-May-2010, 07:01
  4. [Grammar] job posting or job postings
    By uktous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2009, 14:00
  5. steady job or stable job
    By Englishlanguage in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2007, 13:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •