How to pronounce " - " in "Chart 2-1 or Figure 2-1" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SongYuxiang

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How to pronounce " - " in "Chart 2-1 or Figure 2-1" ? Which of the following is correctly pronounced "two to one", "two dash one", "two hyphen one" or "two pont one" ? Thank you in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How to pronounce " - " in "Chart 2-1 or Figure 2-1" ? Which of the following is correctly pronounced "two to one", "two dash one", "two hyphen one" or "two pont one" ? Thank you in advance.
Why have you labelled you charts and figures Chart 2-1 and Figure 2-1 in the first place? I don't think I've seen that style. If it was somebody else who did it, I'd read it "Chart two one".

SongYuxiang

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, Raymott, thank you for your help. I got this from a book written by Martin J. Pring. So I don't have to read out the "-" in this case. Yes, it sounds better. Thanks alot.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, Raymott, thank you for your help. I got this from a book written by Martin J. Pring. So I don't have to read out the "-" in this case. Yes, it sounds better. Thanks alot.

You will see this type of labeling in texts that have numbered sections/chapters. Chart 2-1 would be the first chart in the second section, followed by 2-2, 2-3, etc.

Were I to read that, I would say Chart 2 dash 1, 2 dash 2, etc.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher!

If I had to refer to a chart labelled as above I would say chart two one. A chart 3.1.1 I would read as chart three one one. I would only ever say dash, hyphen or dot when I had to dictate this to somebody.

TomUK

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher!

If I had to refer to a chart labelled as above I would say chart two one. A chart 3.1.1 I would read as chart three one one. I would only ever say dash, hyphen or dot when I had to dictate this to somebody.

TomUK

I have lectured many times to audiences who have had these types of designated charts and figures in their course notes. I always use the "dash" or "dot" as references to avoid confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.