[Grammar] There was a greater demand for ability to speak foreign languages, and various reform

Status
Not open for further replies.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,
"There was a greater demand for ability to speak foreign languages, and various reformers began reconsidering the nature of language and of learning."

I do not understand why the comparative form often used in contexts like the above. Is it for a high degree of emphasizing?

Please note that if there are any mistakes in my writing, correct them and show me the mistakes. I will be really grateful to you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The sentence cannot stand alone. It has to be viewed in the context of what has gone before. The comparison relates to an earlier time when there wasn't much demand for the​ ability to speak foreign languages.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Sorry Rover, I didn't mean that and I think I didn't explain my problem clearly. Okay, I meant that why comparative form(greater) is used mostly despite the adjective form(great). In that sentence "greater" was used and Would be there any changes in meaning if "great" was used in that place? And can we use those two forms "comparative and adjective" interchangeably in that kind of context?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I meant to ask why the comparative form (greater) is used instead of the adjective form (great). In that sentence "greater" was used. Would be there any changes in meaning if "great" was used in that place? And can we use those two forms "comparative and adjective" interchangeably in that kind of context?

Certainly not.

Which form we use depends entirely on what has gone before in the particular context.

Status
Not open for further replies.