Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

How to pronounce foreign names like Juan, Jose, Jesus, Javier, Ángel and etc. in English?
These names are from Spanish. I know how to pronounce them (because I'm learning Spanish too) in Spanish.
Are they pronounced like in mother tongue?

Thanks in advance,
Nickle.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

How to pronounce foreign names like Juan, Jose, Jesus, Javier, Ángel and etc. in English?
These names are from Spanish. I know how to pronounce them (because I'm learning Spanish too) in Spanish.
Are they pronounced like in mother tongue?

Thanks in advance,
Nickle.

They should be pronounced as they are in Spanish. However, you have to bear in mind that many native English speakers will have no idea about Spanish pronunciation, nor will they all be able to pronounce the throaty Spanish "jota" - j sound.

Some names they will probably make a good attempt at - Juan is probably the easiest, followed by Jose. Sometimes people know how to pronounce them purely because there is a famous person with the same name. The name "Ángel", for example, will be pronounced by many native English speakers the same way they say the English word "angel".

If you know how to pronounce it properly in Spanish, then pronounce it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.