[Essay] How come I find two verbs in this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, I was reading an essay "On Some Motifs in Baudelaire" by Walter Benjamin when I came across this following passage with the sentence that stuck me:

"...A person's inner concerns are not by nature of an inescapably private character. They attain this character only after the likelihood decreases that one's external concerns will be assimilated to one's experience."

I can't understand the boldfaced sentence, because I think I've found two verbs in this sentence, "attain" and "will be", which totally made me lost!
And do "They" here refer to "A person's inner concerns"?

If I didn't offer enough context, please let me know, and I will add them immediately. I don't wish to throw a bunch of texts in the very beginning to scare everybody away !:lol:
Thanks to anyone who would help me understand this sentence structure and what this sentence means.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you're reading texts of this complexity, azhu, I'm surprised that you're confused about finding two verbs with different subjects in the same sentence. You must have encountered this many times in the course of your reading.

The subject of 'attain' is 'they' ('a person's inner concerns') and the subject of 'will be' is 'one's external concerns'.

Compare:

'My brother likes butter but my sister prefers margarine.'

Last edited:

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If you're reading texts of this complexity, azhu, I'm surprised that you're confused about finding two verbs with different subjects in the same sentence. You must have encountered this many times in the course of your reading.

The subject of 'attain' is 'they' ('a person's inner concerns') and the subject of 'will be' is 'one's external concerns'.

Thank you Rover, for knowing that this is such a simple grammar yet still explained to me.
I'm now deeply aware of my lack of reading ability. I haven't met a clause that has "will+verb", and so that was why the sentence panicked me.

May I ask another question? I'm not sure what "external concerns" mean in this sentence. Do they mean the attention/interest one pays to the outside world? Thanks a lot.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That seems to be what it means, yes.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I was reading an essay "On Some Motifs in Baudelaire" by Walter Benjamin when I came across this following passage with the sentence that stuck me:

"...A person's inner concerns are not by nature of an inescapably private character. They attain this character only after the likelihood decreases that one's external concerns will be assimilated to one's experience."

I can't understand the boldfaced sentence, because I think I've found two verbs in this sentence, "attain" and "will be", which totally made me lost!
And do "They" here refer to "A person's inner concerns"?

If I didn't offer enough context, please let me know, and I will add them immediately. I don't wish to throw a bunch of texts in the very beginning to scare everybody away !:lol:
Thanks to anyone who would help me understand this sentence structure and what this sentence means.

I don't mean to complicate your life, but there are actually 3 verbs in that sentence. You missed "decreases". The subject is "likelihood".

Status
Not open for further replies.