Do u think English should be simplified and made easier to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliajuliajul

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Rwanda
I don't think so, because if we oversimplify the language we learn, it will become useless for real communication. I'm sure, that no language is easy to learn because they all have their own history and culture!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Even if all of us here at usingenglish.com thought that English should be simplified it would not matter a bit, because it cannot be done. English is a living thing, constantly evolving. There is no way that anyone can limit or impose order on that process. Therefore English cannot be simplified; there is simply no mechanism for doing so.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It usually is simplified for the lower levels of learning, but people require high level language for much of advanced language use- business, science, etc. Language is controlled by the speakers, so if English needs simplifying, then it will become simplified naturally. There have been a number of attempts to simplify it and they have all failed. Imposing things on English does not work- any changes needed will come from within the speech community, which includes both native and non-native speakers.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Also, I have a suspicion the complexity depends on the civilization's needs -- take so-called Ebonics, or Black American English, which has developed in parallel to standard AmE, but partly independently of it -- and it ends up that functioning in North America in modern times, even when segregated from white society, Blacks ended up needing all of the verb tenses and other structures AmE had -- not the same ones, but equivalent ones, and even more forms of the present tense. You can't get people who earn a salary or hourly wages to collapse their numbering system to the Yanomami "one, two, many" when they have a need to express things like "40,000 a year." I think you get the idea. [Edit: Spelling is another matter, and I'm in favour of modernizing it to some degree -- gaol?]

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Language is controlled by the speakers, so if English needs simplifying, then it will become simplified naturally.

So true!

Status
Not open for further replies.