Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    sb70012 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default You won't forget me

    Conversation:

    Alex
    : I wonder if you could please do me a favor.
    John: I'll try.
    Alex: Well, I've been waiting in line here for a really long time now, and .... well .... I'd like to use the bathroom. Do you mind?
    John: No problem, no problem. Go ahead.
    Alex: Thanks a lot. You won't forget me when I get back, will you?
    John: (haha, laughing), of course not. Don't worry about it.

    Source: Summit 2, by Joan Saslow and Allen Ascher, Printed in the USA, unit 6, Travel hassles and experiences.

    Hello,
    Does the bold written part have spacial meaning? Why does he say like that?

    Thank you
    Last edited by sb70012; 16-Sep-2013 at 09:06.

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    21,677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: You won't forget me

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    Conversation:

    Alex
    : I wonder if you could please do me a favor.
    John: I'll try.
    Alex: Well, I've been waiting in line here for a really long time now, and .... well .... I'd like to use the bathroom. Do you mind?
    John: No problem, no problem. Go ahead.
    Alex: Thanks a lot. You won't forget me when I get back, will you?
    John: (haha, laughing), of course not. Don't worry about it.

    Source: Summit 2, by Joan Saslow and Allen Ascher, Printed in the USA, unit 6, Travel hassles and experiences.

    Hello,
    Does the bold written part have spacial meaning? Why does he say like that?

    Thank you
    No, it doesn't have any "special meaning". It means what it says.

  3. #3
    sb70012 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    637
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: You won't forget me

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    No, it doesn't have any "special meaning". It means what it says.
    Then why does he say like that?
    I mean, if you notice, John laughs after Alex say "You won't forget me"
    I know what "You won't forget me" means but in the context given it's irrelevant to say something like that.
    That's why I am confused with.

    Thank you.

  4. #4
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: You won't forget me

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    I know what "You won't forget me" means but in the context given it's irrelevant to say something like that.
    If we restricted real-life conversation to relevant, meaningful utterances, very little would ever be said.
    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  5. #5
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: You won't forget me

    Please do not edit your question after it has received a response. Such editing can make the response hard for others to understand.


  6. #6
    charliedeut's Avatar
    charliedeut is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: You won't forget me

    In this case, Alex needs to go to the bathroom. He is asking John to keep his place at the line (which he has been holding for a long time), and as a joke he is telling John "You won't forget me", meaning John will give Alex his place in the line back once Alex returns from the bathroom, because John will still remember Alex's face (that is, John will not have forgotten him, and the fact that the place was his).
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] There is nothing that she won't do
    By hothead2692 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2013, 17:53
  2. I've won v. I won
    By Esgaleth in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2013, 00:11
  3. [Grammar] Don't forget calling her. Don't forget to call her.
    By wotcha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2012, 14:00
  4. [Grammar] unless it will be won
    By suprunp in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2012, 21:46
  5. I won over/against you
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2007, 12:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk