Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Wedded vs. Wed

  1. #1
    AutumnLeaf is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Wedded vs. Wed

    Greetings, teachers!

    I’d like to know: wedded or wed, which one do you usually choose to use as the past participle of the verb wed?

    I did an online search, and found a lot of wedded. Here are two examples:

    Wedded at last, Oldfield and his new wife waved goodbye.

    The man, who is wedded to Truth and worships Truth alone, proves unfaithful to her, if he applies his talents to anything else.

    And also a lot of wed. Examples:

    On 23 September 1945, at the same church in which she had wed six years earlier, Doris married Lionel Ingram.

    She would have liked to have wed a Jewish boy, primarily for mother's sake, but fate had decreed otherwise.

  2. #2
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Wedded vs. Wed

    It doesn't come up a lot.

    I would probably use "wed" as a verb and "wedded" as an adjective.

  3. #3
    AutumnLeaf is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Wedded vs. Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post

    I would probably use "wed" as a verb and "wedded" as an adjective.
    Hello Dave, thank you for your reply.

  4. #4
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Wedded vs. Wed

    I would use "married" and "marry" instead of "wedded" and "wed."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  5. #5
    AutumnLeaf is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: Wedded vs. Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I would use "married" and "marry" instead of "wedded" and "wed."
    Thanks for your reply, Barb.

    If I substituted “married” for wedded in the below sentence (quoted from my OP), it would become “The man, who is married to Truth…”. The “married to Truth” part sounds a bit strange to my ear. What do you think of it?

    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaf View Post
    The man, who is wedded to Truth and worships Truth alone, proves unfaithful to her, if he applies his talents to anything else.

  6. #6
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Wedded vs. Wed

    "Married to truth" is more natural than "wedded to truth."

    We really don't talk about "wedded" other than in stock phrases like "wedded bliss."

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Wedded vs. Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaf View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Barb.

    If I substituted “married” for wedded in the below sentence (quoted from my OP), it would become “The man, who is married to Truth…”. The “married to Truth” part sounds a bit strange to my ear. What do you think of it?
    I agree with you. I wouldn't use "married" to Truth. In that use, "wedded to" has a meaning different from "married to". It means closely attached to, devoted to, or firmly in support of.

  8. #8
    AutumnLeaf is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: Wedded vs. Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I wouldn't use "married" to Truth. In that use, "wedded to" has a meaning different from "married to". It means closely attached to, devoted to, or firmly in support of.
    Thanks for your reply and explanation, Mike. I thought that be wedded to had a sense of “connection” (“be connected to”). Now I’ve known that it means more than that. Thank you.

    But teachers, I’m now perplexed – all of you are native speakers of English, and two of you prefer “married”, while one likes “wedded” better in this case….


    I tried to search for “married to Truth” on the internet; however, got a “married to religion”:

    In the early seventeenth century, science was still married to religion.
    (Source: Enemy Territory: The Christian Struggle For The Modern World, by Andrew Walker)

    Would you say “wedded to religion” instead?

  9. #9
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Wedded vs. Wed

    I can't think of a single use aside from stock phrases (like the above-mentioned "wedded-bliss) where "wedded" would be my choice over "married."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  10. #10
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Wedded vs. Wed

    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnLeaf View Post
    Thanks for your reply and explanation, Mike. I thought that be wedded to had a sense of “connection” (“be connected to”). Now I’ve known that it means more than that. Thank you.

    But teachers, I’m now perplexed – all of you are native speakers of English, and two of you prefer “married”, while one likes “wedded” better in this case….


    I tried to search for “married to Truth” on the internet; however, got a “married to religion”:

    In the early seventeenth century, science was still married to religion.
    (Source: Enemy Territory: The Christian Struggle For The Modern World, by Andrew Walker)

    Would you say “wedded to religion” instead?
    "Wedded to" ideas, beliefs, professions, etc. is relatively common. I don't understand the controversy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Got married vs got wedded
    By Kameha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2013, 12:28
  2. [General] What is the difference between 'It's Wed' and 'Wed it is'?
    By be-hamta in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Feb-2013, 10:15
  3. staying wed
    By Odessa Dawn in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2012, 09:03
  4. the newly wed/weds ?
    By Graver in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2009, 19:12
  5. [Grammar] The newly wedded couple is (or are) also here
    By SongYuxiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2009, 07:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk