Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    who is smarter reply

    There is a very good/funny song by Harry Belafonte, called "men are smarter", he then goes on to tell every reason why women are smarter, well worth listening too..

  2. #32
    HardRock Guest

    Re: who is smarter reply

    Quote Originally Posted by valtango
    There is a very good/funny song by Harry Belafonte, called "men are smarter", he then goes on to tell every reason why women are smarter, well worth listening too..

    Could you supply me with the website address in order to listen to that wonderful poem ,please ?

  3. #33
    HardRock Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRock
    They have a tendency towards dominance and control, which females don't have.
    Funny you should use those words because women (i.e. wives, girlfriends, bosses) tend to be described as being dominant and controlling :?

    Well, Many scholars and scientists have used them ( the words that mean men are stronger than women )beginning with Plato -or may be before : it came with the Bible , I think - till today's scientists . Can you convince me that it is just the opposite ? I am so sorry if I offend you to say that ,but I don't think that's an anti-feminine act, do you?

  4. #34
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Men are stronger than women. They can lift heavier weights. They can do more strenuous physical work. Their muscle mass is greater. What does testosterone have to do with intelligence?

    :)

  5. #35
    HardRock Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Men are stronger than women. They can lift heavier weights. They can do more strenuous physical work. Their muscle mass is greater.:)

    Their work will permit them to face many situations,problems ... where they need to solve them .This in itself is an opportunity ,which female lack, to develop their intelligence . As we have said previously, intelligence is like an ordinary organ that develops through practice. Since males have more work that needs some reasoning ( finding solutions) they will develop their intellgince effectively .

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    What does testosterone have to do with intelligence?:)

    Testosterone is a hormone that drives males to liking control and seeking influential ranks . Males will mostly be ruling . They have almost the ruling role in societies ( as we have known through the example that there are many male rulers and some females )Therefore, they will interact with the external world (where most females donot have the oportunity to ) and through this experience they will have to think, rethink ,and use that gift (our intelligence),which develops with its use . :wink:

  6. #36
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    Men have problem-solving skills and women don't?

    Say:
    • Testosterone is a hormone that drives males to seek to establish control over others.


    So testosterone makes men more intelligent than women?

    I would say it makes them more violent, but I don't equate violence with intelligence.

    There are more male heads of government than female heads of government. Does that mean men are more intelligent than women?

    What is intelligence? Is it aggressiveness? If so, men are more intelligent than women. Men are more aggressive.

    Perhaps we should decide what intelligence is. Is it opportunity? Is it ambition to have power over others?

    We can win any argument by simply defining the terms the way we want them to be defined.

  7. #37
    HardRock Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    I would say it makes them more violent, but I don't equate violence with intelligence.
    I do too.


    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    There are more male heads of government than female heads of government. Does that mean men are more intelligent than women?
    We can infer that they are better in the political world .May be this arena needs violence ,I don't know .

    What I meant is that they are better in the external world(outside the house ).



    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    What is intelligence? Is it aggressiveness? If so, men are more intelligent than women. Men are more aggressive.
    For me, intelligence is not aggression.

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Perhaps we should decide what intelligence is. Is it opportunity? Is it ambition to have power over others?
    How far do you think that females are intelligent by leaving the politcal arena to aggressive males? Also, most poets and artists are males.Why do you think we dont have many female writers? Do females ,too, abandon literature ? Or what? I think males through their agressiveness determines not only what females' roles, but they also determine what it means to be a female .Therefore, females should do something about this .They should revolt against males' domination and aggressiveness.

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    We can win any argument by simply defining the terms the way we want them to be defined
    It is not me who defines the terms. I have read it somewhere from some male writer ,perhaps.Then, what's your definition of intelligence?

    It 's only a discussion. If you feel angry, I would quit ,teacher . :wink:

  8. #38
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we are talking about two different things.

    No, I am not angry. I am saying that if you are going to discuss something that it is important to agree about what you are discussing. That is why I said, "What is intelligence?"

    I say that intelligence is the ability to solve problems. It is reasoning power. Perhaps somebody else will have a slightly different definition.

    If intelligence is measured by the ability to acquire political power, then it would seem that there is little doubt that men are more intelligent than women.

    It is a given that there have been more famous male scientists and artists and writers. Does that answer the question about who is more intelligent--men or women?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRock
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRock
    They have a tendency towards dominance and control, which females don't have.
    Funny you should use those words because women (i.e. wives, girlfriends, bosses) tend to be described as being dominant and controlling :?
    Well, Many scholars and scientists have used them ( the words that mean men are stronger than women )beginning with Plato -or may be before : it came with the Bible , I think - till today's scientists . Can you convince me that it is just the opposite ? I am so sorry if I offend you to say that ,but I don't think that's an anti-feminine act, do you?
    Goodness. No offense/offence taken. :D
    I thought it was funny, as in interesting that you chose the exact same words that men use to describe female partners. I was attempting, albeit in retrospect a bad idea, a play on words. e.g. "My wife is so controlling!"

    By the way, in the day 'n age of Plato and Aristotle, people in general held the view that women were not equal to men. Mind you, that was Ancient thought. We've come a long way since then, though. :D

    Our way of looking at the world has changed. Moreover, with regards to the Bible, and other ancient sources reflecting the thought of the times, he wrote history. :D Which disciple was female again? :D (There were two Marys, of course, the virgin & mother and the prostitute.) Tradionally, men published men. Women who wrote, had to use a pseudonym to get published, by men, as men. In other words, Plato was a guy writing at a time when guys were considered the be all and end all of wisdom, which is certainly not the case today and something one should seriously take into consideration when looking to support the present with the past.

    I don't feel that your words are anti-feminist. However, I do feel they reflect ancient ideals and thought. That is, history is significant only in that it teaches us to not make the same mistakes today that we made in the past.

    In short, I'd use Plato to argue that culture is a contributing factor in determining who is smart and who is not.

    :D

  10. #40
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,951
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    That is, history is significant only in that it teaches us to not make the same mistakes today that we made in the past.
    :D
    Sadly, it so often teaches us that we are still making the same mistakes. ;-(

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to teach 12 years old boys Sound of the letters ?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Dec-2003, 17:11
  2. I would appreciate any comments on my first draft
    By HardRock in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2003, 19:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •