Who is really smarter boys or girls????????

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Views : 135,759
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRock

tdol said:
:

In some countries in Europe, female political representation is nearly 50% and female leaders, government members, etc, are common enough not to attract any attention. ;-)

DO YOU HAVE ANY COMPELLING EVIDENCE ? A poll, a study ... This the first time I have heard this. :p

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The foreign minister of Spain is a woman. In any case, I am not at all sure what such things have to do with whether males are smarter than females. However, I have another question--why would somebody want to prove that males are smarter than females? (It is a lost cause.)

:)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
RonBee said:
--why would somebody want to prove that males are smarter than females? (It is a lost cause.)

:up: I believe that's the question Hardrock's prof is hoping someone will ask:wink:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Unless he's a genuine atavistic chauvinist. ;-)

H

HardRock

RonBee said:
The foreign minister of Spain is a woman.

How many countries we have in the world ? Only one foreign minister !!!What about the other countries ?

RonBee said:
In any case, I am not at all sure what such things have to do with whether males are smarter than females. :)
They have a tendency towards dominance and control ,which female don't have.This is a sign of power.

RonBee said:
However, I have another question--why would somebody want to prove that males are smarter than females? (It is a lost cause.):)

Yes,I agree, but I have to prove that in order to please my prof . :wink:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are, I think, currently 192 countries in the world.

A tendency toward dominance and control is not a sign of intelligence but rather other things--ambition, for example.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are also many ways to dominate.

;-)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
HardRock said:
They have a tendency towards dominance and control, which females don't have.

Funny you should use those words because women (i.e. wives, girlfriends, bosses) tend to be described as being dominant and controlling :?

valtango

who is smarter reply

There is a very good/funny song by Harry Belafonte, called "men are smarter", he then goes on to tell every reason why women are smarter, well worth listening too..

H

HardRock

Re: who is smarter reply

valtango said:
There is a very good/funny song by Harry Belafonte, called "men are smarter", he then goes on to tell every reason why women are smarter, well worth listening too..

Could you supply me with the website address in order to listen to that wonderful poem :shock: ,please ?

H

HardRock

Casiopea said:
HardRock said:

Funny you should use those words because women (i.e. wives, girlfriends, bosses) tend to be described as being dominant and controlling :?

Well, Many scholars and scientists have used them ( the words that mean men are stronger than women )beginning with Plato -or may be before : it came with the Bible , I think - till today's scientists . Can you convince me that it is just the opposite ? I am so sorry if I offend you to say that ,but I don't think that's an anti-feminine act, do you? :shock:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Men are stronger than women. They can lift heavier weights. They can do more strenuous physical work. Their muscle mass is greater. What does testosterone have to do with intelligence?

H

HardRock

RonBee said:
Men are stronger than women. They can lift heavier weights. They can do more strenuous physical work. Their muscle mass is greater.:)

Their work will permit them to face many situations,problems ... where they need to solve them .This in itself is an opportunity ,which female lack, to develop their intelligence . As we have said previously, intelligence is like an ordinary organ that develops through practice. Since males have more work that needs some reasoning ( finding solutions) they will develop their intellgince effectively .

RonBee said:
What does testosterone have to do with intelligence?:)

Testosterone is a hormone that drives males to liking control and seeking influential ranks . Males will mostly be ruling . They have almost the ruling role in societies ( as we have known through the example that there are many male rulers and some females )Therefore, they will interact with the external world (where most females donot have the oportunity to ) and through this experience they will have to think, rethink ,and use that gift (our intelligence),which develops with its use . :wink:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Men have problem-solving skills and women don't?

Say:
  • Testosterone is a hormone that drives males to seek to establish control over others.

So testosterone makes men more intelligent than women?

I would say it makes them more violent, but I don't equate violence with intelligence.

There are more male heads of government than female heads of government. Does that mean men are more intelligent than women?

What is intelligence? Is it aggressiveness? If so, men are more intelligent than women. Men are more aggressive.

Perhaps we should decide what intelligence is. Is it opportunity? Is it ambition to have power over others?

We can win any argument by simply defining the terms the way we want them to be defined.

H

HardRock

RonBee said:
I would say it makes them more violent, but I don't equate violence with intelligence.

I do too.

RonBee said:
There are more male heads of government than female heads of government. Does that mean men are more intelligent than women?

We can infer that they are better in the political world .May be this arena needs violence ,I don't know .

What I meant is that they are better in the external world(outside the house ).

RonBee said:
What is intelligence? Is it aggressiveness? If so, men are more intelligent than women. Men are more aggressive.

For me, intelligence is not aggression.

RonBee said:
Perhaps we should decide what intelligence is. Is it opportunity? Is it ambition to have power over others?

How far do you think that females are intelligent by leaving the politcal arena to aggressive males? Also, most poets and artists are males.Why do you think we dont have many female writers? Do females ,too, abandon literature ? Or what? I think males through their agressiveness determines not only what females' roles, but they also determine what it means to be a female .Therefore, females should do something about this .They should revolt against males' domination and aggressiveness.

RonBee said:
We can win any argument by simply defining the terms the way we want them to be defined

It is not me who defines the terms. I have read it somewhere from some male writer ,perhaps.Then, what's your definition of intelligence?

It 's only a discussion. If you feel angry, I would quit ,teacher . :wink:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think we are talking about two different things.

No, I am not angry. I am saying that if you are going to discuss something that it is important to agree about what you are discussing. That is why I said, "What is intelligence?"

I say that intelligence is the ability to solve problems. It is reasoning power. Perhaps somebody else will have a slightly different definition.

If intelligence is measured by the ability to acquire political power, then it would seem that there is little doubt that men are more intelligent than women.

It is a given that there have been more famous male scientists and artists and writers. Does that answer the question about who is more intelligent--men or women?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
HardRock said:
Casiopea said:
HardRock said:

Well, Many scholars and scientists have used them ( the words that mean men are stronger than women )beginning with Plato -or may be before : it came with the Bible , I think - till today's scientists . Can you convince me that it is just the opposite ? I am so sorry if I offend you to say that ,but I don't think that's an anti-feminine act, do you? :shock:

Goodness. No offense/offence taken. :D
I thought it was funny, as in interesting that you chose the exact same words that men use to describe female partners. I was attempting, albeit in retrospect a bad idea, a play on words. :oops: e.g. "My wife is so controlling!"

By the way, in the day 'n age of Plato and Aristotle, people in general held the view that women were not equal to men. Mind you, that was Ancient thought. We've come a long way since then, though. :D

Our way of looking at the world has changed. Moreover, with regards to the Bible, and other ancient sources reflecting the thought of the times, he wrote history. :D Which disciple was female again? :D (There were two Marys, of course, the virgin & mother and the prostitute.) Tradionally, men published men. Women who wrote, had to use a pseudonym to get published, by men, as men. In other words, Plato was a guy writing at a time when guys were considered the be all and end all of wisdom, which is certainly not the case today and something one should seriously take into consideration when looking to support the present with the past.

I don't feel that your words are anti-feminist. However, I do feel they reflect ancient ideals and thought. That is, history is significant only in that it teaches us to not make the same mistakes today that we made in the past.

In short, I'd use Plato to argue that culture is a contributing factor in determining who is smart and who is not.

:D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Casiopea said:
That is, history is significant only in that it teaches us to not make the same mistakes today that we made in the past.
:D

Sadly, it so often teaches us that we are still making the same mistakes. ;-(

Status
Not open for further replies.