Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, everyone.

Relative clauses are used as adjective clauses to modify nouns before them, but sometimes we would take out the subjects of the relative clauses and turn the verbs into participle form, and the participle phrases still function as adjectives, am I right? My question is when I can turn them into participle phrase and when I need to write the whole relative clause.

For example:
There was one thing confusing me.
/There was one thing that confused me.

I assume the two sentences above are both grammatically correct.
But Is there any difference between them?
I always confused about which to use when I was practicing writing sentences involving this. Sometimes native speakers would correct my sentences changing my sentences from participle phrases to intact relative clauses, so I am confused about how to choose from the two options.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
there was one thing confusing me.
/there was one thing that confused me

I assume the two sentences above are both grammatically correct. They would be with the correct capitalisation and punctuation.
But Is there any difference between them? They mean the same to me.

Welcome to the forums, John.

I don't know of any general rule.

Rover

John wu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you, and I have corrected the mistakes.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, everyone.

Relative clauses are used as adjective clauses to modify nouns before them, but sometimes we would take out the subjects of the relative clauses and turn the verbs into participle form, and the participle phrases still function as adjectives, am I right? My question is when I can turn them into participle phrase and when I need to write the whole relative clause.

For example:
There was one thing confusing me.
/There was one thing that confused me.

I assume the two sentences above are both grammatically correct.
But Is there any difference between them?
I always confused about which to use when I was practicing writing sentences involving this. Sometimes native speakers would correct my sentences changing my sentences from participle phrases to intact relative clauses, so I am confused about how to choose from the two options.

Thanks for your help!

When it comes to adjectival relative clauses and participial phrases, they would usually be interchangeable.

virus99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Twi
Home Country
Bhutan
Current Location
Tuvalu
Hi!

As far as I know, when you use the Participle Phrase, you shorten the sentence. That should be it. It still functions as 'adjective'. Only shorter.

Not a teacher!

Status
Not open for further replies.