Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

''Can you recogonize Mike when you see him?"
"No, I forget/forgot his face long time ago."

It seems to me that neither the past nor present tense works in here.
Because if you use "forget", then "long time ago" indicates you should use the past tense.
But if you use "forgot", that means you forgot what looked like, but now you do remember his face.

Could anybody explain this please?

Thanks!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

''Can you recogonize Mike when you see him?"
"No, I forget/forgot his face long time ago."

It seems to me that neither the past nor present tense works in here.
Because if you use "forget", then "long time ago" indicates you should use the past tense.
But if you use "forgot", that means you forgot what looked like, but now you do remember his face.

Could anybody explain this please?

Thanks!

The problem begins with the original question. As phrased, it is not very natural. It would be better as: "Would you recognize Mike if you saw him"? Then a possible answer would be: "No, I forgot his face a long time ago."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or Mike is due to arrive shortly - "Will you recognize Mike when you see him?"

(Or course, I'm one of the people who suffers from facial blindness. I have a pretty mild case, but it's entirely possible that I won't recognize him any time I see him. In my case, I don't "forget" their faces - they just all look like to me.)

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The problem begins with the original question. As phrased, it is not very natural. It would be better as: "Would you recognize Mike if you saw him"? Then a possible answer would be: "No, I forgot his face a long time ago."
\
Thanks for pointing out what's wrong in the question. So when you say "No, I forgot his face a long time ago", wouldn't that imply "you forgot his face, but you don't forget his face now? Because "forgot" is in past tense?"

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
\
Thanks for pointing out what's wrong in the question. So when you say "No, I forgot his face a long time ago", wouldn't that imply "you forgot his face, but you don't forget his face now? Because "forgot" is in past tense?"

Yes, but if you forgot it in the past, you still wouldn't remember it in the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.