Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    TheHavoc is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default You would like to ... questions. Is this correct?

    Often I've written questions like this:

    You would like to implement this functionality?

    In this question I need to get answer for something that we've already spoken, and understand that they want to do this.

    If I write question like this ( Would you like to .... ), I will ask for something new ( at least I think so ).

    So, I'm a little bit confused for the correct meaning of the first question which I wrote above.

    I need to ask someone likely and respectful.



    Best regards.

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,669
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: You would like to ... questions. Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHavoc View Post
    Often I've written questions like this:

    You would like to implement this functionality?

    In this question I need to get answer for something that we've already spoken, and understand that they want to do this.

    If I write question like this ( Would you like to .... ), I will ask for something new ( at least I think so ).

    So, I'm a little bit confused for the correct meaning of the first question which I wrote above.

    I need to ask someone likely and respectful.



    Best regards.
    "Would you like to..?" is correct. "You would like to..?" is not correct.

  3. #3
    TheHavoc is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: You would like to ... questions. Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Would you like to..?" is correct. "You would like to..?" is not correct.
    Thanks for your fast answer. I have a new one.

    I will considered a simple communication below.

    A: We will change the color to white.
    B: Please change the color to black.
    A: Would you like to change the color to black?

    In this simple communication ( I know the communication is a little bit stupid ).
    Is the question is with the correct meaning.

    I need to ask a person B that definitely want to change the color to black and he is sure about this, maybe I should use another question like this:
    Should we change the color to black?


    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: You would like to ... questions. Is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHavoc View Post
    Thanks for your fast answer. I have a new one.

    I will considered a simple communication below.

    A: We will change the color to white.
    B: Please change the color to black.
    A: Would you like to change the color to black?

    In this simple communication ( I know the communication is a little bit stupid ).
    Is the question is with the correct meaning.

    I need to ask a person B that definitely want to change the color to black and he is sure about this, maybe I should use another question like this:
    Should we change the color to black?

    Thanks again.
    No, "Should we change the colour to black?" is not a confirmatory question. Let me try to reword your conversation. (Because I'm not sure why A is suggesting white if what he is doing is trying to ascertain that B really wants black. We'll start with the second sentence).

    B: "Please change the color to black.
    A: Would you like to change the color to black? Pointless. He's just said that.
    A: "Are you sure that you want it to be black? / Do you really want it changed to black"
    B: "Yes, why?
    A: "It's always been a very light color in the past. Before I paint it black, I need to be sure that's what you want. Are you absolutely certain that you want it black?"

    You want to know that he's 100% sure, absolutely certain, that he wants it black.

Similar Threads

  1. (7) Could you correct or confirm these questions?
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-Dec-2012, 22:06
  2. (6) Could you correct my questions?
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2012, 22:28
  3. (5) Could you correct or confirm these questions?
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2012, 19:56
  4. (4) Could you correct or confirm these questions?
    By learning54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2012, 16:13
  5. help: are these questions correct ?
    By nora2000 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2011, 10:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •