• Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

Default has been+during

You're probably going to say you can't learn good English from TV shows but I'll ask the question anyway just to have understanding.

Here's the quote from a TV show. "Live at the scene where sources tell us that beloved genre actor......has been shot and killed during filming of the remake of......". What would be the difference, if I said "...was shot and killed during filming of....."?

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: has been+during

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    You're probably going to say you can't learn good English from TV shows but I'll ask the question anyway just to have understanding.

Here's the quote from a TV show. "Live at the scene where sources tell us that beloved genre actor......has been shot and killed during filming of the remake of......". What would be the difference, if I said "...was shot and killed during filming of....."?
    Probably no difference.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

It's still happening. "Sources tell us" means it's not even confirmed. The reporter is live at the scene. "Has been shot" has more immediacy, suspense and the promise of some follow up than "was shot". If it was the next day, the reporter could say "was shot".
    The bottom line for the TV people is that more people would continue watching if it is presented as ongoing action.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Raymott. Even in AmE, which uses perfect tenses less frequently than BrE, the present perfect would be used in this situation because it just happened. At a point in time, when describing this incident, it will switch to the simple past. The problem is that the length of time is not specific.