Thread: How or What

Anonymous Guest

Default How or What

I am an English Mum living in Germany with three young daughters in a German school. One of them recently had a test where you could choose the answer from When What or How . The question was about weather, and my daughter put "How was the weather on Saturday" The teacher said that it was 100% incorrect, even though my daughter (only 11) knew that we have said that at home ourselves. Maybe it isn't the best answer, but we do say it or?........The correct answer she was told was "What was the weather like on Saturday?"

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How or What

Quote Originally Posted by EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    I am an English Mum living in Germany with three young daughters in a German school. One of them recently had a test where you could choose the answer from When What or How . The question was about weather, and my daughter put "How was the weather on Saturday" The teacher said that it was 100% incorrect, even though my daughter (only 11) knew that we have said that at home ourselves. Maybe it isn't the best answer, but we do say it or?........The correct answer she was told was "What was the weather like on Saturday?"
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with "How was the weather on Saturday" and it means the same thing as "What was the weather like on Saturday?" Why anybody would say any different is beyond me.

Rhyming Riddles
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2248

Brief Verse (Couplets)
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1579