Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello to you all,

Thanks for reading this post ! Well, i come here because, by accident, i realized that my accent is really not good at all. I'm french and, of course, i have a french accent. Although it's impossible to completely lose it, i would like to speak an acceptable english. My pronunciation is really wrong. You would ask, "why american english". Well, i vahe nerver been in UK, only once in US and lived 1 year in Australia. Mostly, when i hear english, it's american english. Of course there are many US accents and the best would be to chose one particular accent before training myself. But i would need hints to know the major problems about my pronunciation if possible.

Here's a sample :

https://soundcloud.com/boris-le-lay/try01

I don't aim perfection, but at least not a shocking english for an american or even british audience. Thanks for giving me a hand about this !

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Boris. :hi:

Others may have time to give a more detailed analysis than I, but I will say that your accent is much better than you appear to think. Your French accent is far less pronounced than that of most French people I have met who speak English.

You did mispronounce a few words, and you occasionally stressed the wrong syllable in a word, but your pronunciation is not "really wrong". I would not say that your version of English sounds particularly American; indeed, I suspect that some Americans might feel that it is rather British.

Boris Le Lay

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Welcome to the forum, Boris. :hi:

Others may have time to give a more detailed analysis than I, but I will say that your accent is much better than you appear to think. Your French accent is far less pronounced than that of most French people I have met who speak English.

You did mispronounce a few words, and you occasionally stressed the wrong syllable in a word, but your pronunciation is not "really wrong". I would not say that your version of English sounds particularly American; indeed, I suspect that some Americans might feel that it is rather British.

Hello 5jj ! Thanks for your answer.

Well it confuses me a bit, because, really, my friend insisted that i'd better speak with my natural french accent and just forget about trying to get any native accent - or close to it. Note that i just want to speak a correct english, not a fabulous one, something any native would say "mmm, that's good english for a foreigner".

But now, at least, i really want to inquiry about this. 5jj, can i ask you where you from, so i can understand your point of view about accents.

Cheers !

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am originally from Hampshire, in the south of England.

Boris Le Lay

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I see, thank you 5jj !

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought your pronunciation was very good. I can tell you are not American, but honestly, I didn't think your accent sounded very French. Have more confidence!

Boris Le Lay

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I thought your pronunciation was very good. I can tell you are not American, but honestly, I didn't think your accent sounded very French. Have more confidence!

Well, i was ok with it until my friend really stressed out that it really does not work. He told me this : "You sound "try hard" ". So now i'm confused, because i don't know what to think.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, i was ok with it until my friend really stressed out that it really does not work. He told me this : "You sound "try hard" ". So now i'm confused, because i don't know what to think.

Is your friend French?

Boris Le Lay

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Yes. He's French, american father, who grew up in France, and moved to Florida 10 years ago. His wife, a Canadian, helped him to correct his accent and is nearly perfect now.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with both 5jj and Barb_D that your accent is pretty good. One can tell that you are not a native speaker, but there is never the slightest difficulty in understanding what you say, and there are passages in your speech that are very fluent and natural.

I think your friend is being snobbish. When it comes to English accent, he has several advantages over you: an American father, a Canadian wife, and most important, ten years of immersion in an English-speaking country.

To sum up, your accent does not suck at all.

Last edited:

Boris Le Lay

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I agree with both 5jj and Barb_D that your accent is pretty good. One can tell that you are not a native speaker, but there is never the slightest difficulty in understanding what you say, and there are passages in your speech that are very fluent and natural.

I think your friend is being snobbish. When it comes to English accent, he has several advantages over you: an American father, a Canadian wife, and most important, ten years of immersion in an English-speaking country.

To sum up, your accent does not suck at all.

Well thanks for your remark. Well, then i should be more self confident...

Just a question to you all : when you hear me, can you guess my native language, or would you hesitate between several countries ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Just a question to you all : when you hear me, can you guess my native language, or would you hesitate between several countries ?
It's difficult to un-know what one knows. I think I might have had you as French, but I am not sure. I can spot one or two give-aways - at least they are give-aways if you know the answer.

Boris Le Lay

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Mmmm, yes my question is kind of odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.