Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
Colombia
Please can someone help me with the following questions

1. Which is the odd one out in each group and why?

• The baby's bottle.
  • The nation's struggle.
  • the teacher's absent.
  • the nurse's pay.
  • the government's defeat.

Why______________________________

• The plane was hi-jacked by a woman.
  • The tourist were attacked by a gang.
  • The soldier was hit by a bullet.
  • The trains collided by a river.
  • Three hundred people were killed by the earthquake

Why________________________________

• She must have lost the address.
  • Alan must have been here too.
  • That must have been awful.
  • The thieves must have got in through the window.
  • I must have something to drink.

Why_________________________________

2 Identify any incorrect sentences in the list, EXPLAIN THE ERROR and supply the corrected version:

a. What did you say was your name?
b. I've been to China last year?
c. He doesn't work as hard as she does.
d. I would of liked to have seen that.
e. I regret to have damaged your book.
f. How long do you know Nathan?

The problem i have is explaining in teacher terms the meaning of the types of verbs, active, passive, tenses. ect

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, 1paisita.

We like to help when we can, but we don't help with assignments. The course provider wants to know what you can do, not what we can do.

1paisita

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
Colombia
5jj

You are correct but here are the answers i gave and they returned my application.

The teacher's absent because it refers to an action that is happening at the time, present The teacher is absent, we cannot say The baby is bottle or the nation is struggle they all refer to the present continuous.

The trains collided by a river because this is the only one that is using by as the tense of beside.

I must have something to drink because it is being use as strongly needed, not as a guess or opinion.

They say to please give a more accurate response as to why you chose it. If I have no teaching experience how do they want me to answers this question???

1paisita

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
Colombia
Grammar

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5jj

You are correct but here are the answers i gave and they returned my application.

The teacher's absent because it refers to an action that is happening at the time, present The teacher is absent, we cannot say The baby is bottle or the nation is struggle they all refer to the present continuous.

The trains collided by a river because this is the only one that is using by as the tense of beside.

I must have something to drink because it is being use as strongly needed, not as a guess or opinion.

They say to please give a more accurate response as to why you chose it. If I have no teaching experience how do they want me to answers this question???

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Grammar

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5jj

Is this posting part of another thread?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Grammar