• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Were you looking for me?

John was late for work. His colleague said James (the manager) was looking for him. When John walked in James' office, he said "Are you looking for me, James".

In the above context, I think John should say "Were you looking for me, James"? Am I correct?

Thanks.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Were you looking for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Winwin2011 View Post
    John was late for work. His colleague said James (the manager) was looking for him. When John walked in James's office, he said "Are you looking for me, James".

In the above context, I think John should say "Were you looking for me, James"? Am I correct?

Thanks.
    That's what I would say.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

John was late for work. His colleague said James (the manager) was looking for him. When John walked in James' office, he said "Are you looking for me, James?"

In the above context, I think John should say "Were you looking for me, James?" Am I correct?

Thanks.

I agree with you. If John had walked into the building and had interrupted James during the search, he could have said "Are you looking for me, James?"

Note that when a question is being quoted, the question mark should go inside the quotation marks. I have marked the relevant corrections in red above.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Winwin2011 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I agree with you. If John had walked into the building and had interrupted James during the search, he could have said "Are you looking for me, James?"

Note that when a question is being quoted, the question mark should go inside the quotation marks. I have marked the relevant corrections in red above.
    Thanks ems.

What do you mean by "John had interrupted James during the search,"? Could you further explain it, please?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's say that James started his search for John at 9.05am. At 9.10am he finished searching the first floor of the building (without finding John) and then went down to the ground floor where the main entrance to the building is. At 9.11am, John's friend sent him a text message saying "Where are you? James is looking for you!" John entered the main entrance at 9.12am and spotted James walking along a corridor looking in offices. He ran up to him and said "Are you looking for me, James?"

James had not finished his search but John stopped him while he was searching, thereby "interrupting" him.

Does that help?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Grumpy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

John was late for work. His colleague said James (the manager) was looking for him. When John walked in to James's office, he said "Are you looking for me, James".

Thanks.
    On a completely different note, I would phrase your sentence as amended above.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....