Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Europe
Hi there!
I've been told that in my text there're a few dangling modifiers, I can't seem to find them though :( Could you please help me and point them out?
And, if it's not too much bother, could you correct the whole text as well?

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

"As some of you may know, most Italians usually are not afraid of showing their emotions or talking about their feelings, this leads to having a more open approach to people. Thus touching another person's hands briefly while talking, rubbing somebody's arm or back is not considered flirting but a mere form of closeness to the other person.
Of course in Italy not everybody's that open when it comes to body language, but some people are and the meaning behind their actions is often completely misunderstood by foreigners.
Unfortunately among countries there're many behavioural differences we often are not aware of and misunderstand...
For example, during my stay in Berlin I was told not to smile at strangers on the metro or when walking down the street because a smile can be easily misunderstood and often corresponds to "flirting". Instead in Italy things work differently... Most of the time smiling to a complete stranger (no matter if good looking and member of the opposite sex) after establishing eye contact is nothing but a form of politeness, an instinctive reaction without romantic implication."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There are no dangling modifiers in your text. On the whole it's quite good, but here are a few suggestions.

As some of you may know, most Italians usually are not afraid of showing their emotions or talking about their feelings, this leads to having a more open approach to people. This is a run-on sentence. If you translate your words back into Italian I think you will agree that this should be two sentences in both languages.

Thus touching another person's hands briefly while talking, rubbing somebody's arm or back is not considered flirting but a mere form of closeness to the other person.

Of course in Italy not everybody's that open
( You should write not everybody is. The elision everybody's is used in speech but rarely in writing.) when it comes to body language, but some people are and the meaning behind their actions is often completely misunderstood by foreigners.
Unfortunately among countries there're
(As above, this elision is heard in speech but rarely seen in modern writing. Write there are) many behavioural differences we often are not aware of and misunderstand...
For example, during my stay in Berlin I was told not to smile at strangers on the metro or when walking down the street because a smile can be easily misunderstood and often corresponds to "flirting". Instead in Italy things work differently... Most of the time smiling
at a complete stranger (to is not the correct preposition with smile) (no matter if good looking and member of the opposite sex) after establishing eye contact is nothing but a form of politeness, an instinctive reaction without romantic implication."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.