Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,

i heard this verb in an american tv show meaning "being unable to move/run/slide freely".

context: the guy was trying to cover an object with a piece of cloth. the cloth was supposed to fit the object perfectly, with no slack or bare areas. the object had a difficult shape, tough, with some protruding parts that could keep the cloth from fitting properly around the object.

so, the guy said that the cloth could "snag".

i understood that the cloth could get hooked by the object irregular shape during the dressing procedure, making hard and slow to fit it on the object, but couldn't confirm on the dictionary that "snag" can actually be used this way.

is it a slang? how can i say it in a informal way, but not using a slang, please?

thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
hi,

i heard this verb in an american tv show meaning "being unable to move/run/slide freely".

context: the guy was trying to cover an object with a piece of cloth. the cloth was supposed to fit the object perfectly, with no slack or bare areas. the object had a difficult shape, tough, with some protruding parts that could keep the cloth from fitting properly around the object.

so, the guy said that the cloth could "snag".

i understood that the cloth could get hooked by the object irregular shape during the dressing procedure, making hard and slow to fit it on the object, but couldn't confirm on the dictionary that "snag" can actually be used this way.

is it a slang? how can i say it in a informal way, but not using a slang, please?

thanks.

You have been a member long enough to know how to present a post with correct capitalisation. Please edit your post accordingly.

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
Hi,

I heard this verb in an American TV show meaning "being unable to move/run/slide freely".

Context: the guy was trying to cover an object with a piece of cloth. The cloth was supposed to fit the object perfectly, with no slack or bare areas. The object had a difficult shape, tough, with some protruding parts that could keep the cloth from fitting properly around the object.

So, the guy said that the cloth could "snag".

I understood that the cloth could get hooked by the object irregular shape during the dressing procedure, making hard and slow to fit it on the object, but couldn't confirm on the dictionary that "snag" can actually be used this way.

Is it slang? How can I say it in an informal way, but not using a slang, please?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

I heard this verb in an American TV show meaning "being unable to move/run/slide freely".

Context: the guy was trying to cover an object with a piece of cloth. The cloth was supposed to fit the object perfectly, with no slack or bare areas. The object had a difficult shape, tough, with some protruding parts that could keep the cloth from fitting properly around the object.

So, the guy said that the cloth could "snag".

I understood that the cloth could get hooked by the object irregular shape during the dressing procedure, making hard and slow to fit it on the object, but couldn't confirm on the dictionary that "snag" can actually be used this way.

Is it slang? How can I say it in an informal way, but not using a slang, please?

Thanks.

It's not slang and it is commonly used in that sort of situation.

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
Thanks a lot.
If I’m fishing with a rod and the hook gets stuck in a rock or something, can I say that the hook or the thread “snagged”?
Thanks again.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Any time something gets caught or stuck on another thing because one thing has a part that sticks out, you can use "snag."

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
Thanks a lot.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for saying thank you, but next time, you can just click on the "like" link and we'll know you saw the answer and don't have any more questions. If we see that a new post has been added, we think you have a new question.

Status
Not open for further replies.