[Grammar] She tells him to go. Is "to" a preposition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deliful

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
My students were looking for prepositions and one of them asked me about it. I know that "to go" is an infinitive of purpose. I then wondered: what type of word is "to" in this context?
Thank you!
Delia :-?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, deliful. :hi:

Some consider it just part of the infinitive, some call it the infinitive particle, and some consider it to be a preposition.

deliful

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Welcome to the forum, deliful. :hi:

Some consider it just part of the infinitive, some call it the infinitive particle, and some consider it to be a preposition.

Thank you so much! I will tell my students that not everything is black or white :hi:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much! I will tell my students that not everything is black or white :hi:

That will be a valuable lesson for them when learning English.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I would consider it wrong to call that a preposition.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would consider it wrong to call that a preposition.
Why? I don't think it's particularly helpful to call it a preposition, but I see no strong objection.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why? I don't think it's particularly helpful to call it a preposition, but I see no strong objection.

As a part of speech, "preposition" has a specific meaning and and a specific function. The "to" in a "to infinitive" doesn't fit the meaning and does not have that function. I have heard the "to" called a particle, a function word, a marker, etc. All of those are preferable for me. Calling it a preposition will likely lead to confusion.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As a part of speech, "preposition" has a specific meaning and and a specific function. The "to" in a "to infinitive" doesn't fit the meaning and does not have that function.
What specific meaning and what specific function?
I have heard the "to" called a particle, a function word, a marker, etc. All of those are preferable for me. Calling it a preposition will likely lead to confusion.
Well, a few dictionaries don't seem to worry about possible confusion. They include:

to preposition (INFINITIVE) - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
To - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Definition of to | Collins English Dictionary

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I understand. Difference in terminology is one of the main reasons there is confusion in language discussions. Most definitions of "preposition" that I have seen talk about linking a substantive, noun or pronoun to another word in a sentence. Prepositions have objects. The verb form following "to" in an infinitive is clearly not a substantive and is clearly not a prepositional object. Some dictionaries call "to" from an infinitive a preposition probably because there is no other part of speech to call it. I have, for a long time, believed that "particle" should be added to the parts of speech list. It is at least as useful as "interjection".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I Prepositions have objects. The verb form following "to" in an infinitive is clearly not a substantive and is clearly not a prepositional object.
I went to Paris.
I want to work.

If 'Paris' is the prepositional object of 'to, could it not be argued that 'work' is the prepositional object of 'to'?

Some dictionaries call "to" from an infinitive a preposition probably because there is no other part of speech to call it. I have, for a long time, believed that "particle" should be added to the parts of speech list. It is at least as useful as "interjection".
I don't disagree. I was merely suggesting that it is not so easy to dismiss the classification of infinitival 'to' as a preposition as it might seem to be.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I went to Paris.
I want to work.

If 'Paris' is the prepositional object of 'to, could it not be argued that 'work' is the prepositional object of 'to'?

I don't disagree. I was merely suggesting that it is not so easy to dismiss the classification of infinitival 'to' as a preposition as it might seem to be.

Unfortunately, there are many who cannot tell the difference between "to Paris" and "to work". That is another good reason not to call the particle a preposition.

And I agree with you. I would love it if everybody agreed on what things should be called, but I doubt that will ever happen. :-?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would love it if everybody agreed on what things should be called, but I doubt that will ever happen. :-?

That would be too easy- if we agree on the terminology, then we might start agreeing on the rest. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That would be too easy- if we agree on the terminology, then we might start agreeing on the rest. ;-)

Now that would be strange. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.