• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Use of Comma - use of term "limited in"

I'm curious to know which of the two sentces are correct and if neither, why and do the commas make a differnce in this case? How should it read?

1. For me its a way to be out of the office and, not on a course, where im not in limited movement.

2. For me its a way to be out of the office and not on a course where im not in limited movement.

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Use of Comma - use of term "limited in"

Quote Originally Posted by GEE-DEN View Post
    I'm curious to know which of the two sentces are correct and if neither, why and do the commas make a differnce in this case? How should it read?

1. For me it’s a way to be out of the office and, not on a course, where im not in limited movement.

2. For me it’s a way to be out of the office and not on a course where im not in limited movement.
    Neither one is correct.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GEE-DEN View Post
    I'm curious to know which of if the two sentces sentences are correct and if neither not, why not. and Also, do the commas make a difference in this these cases? How should it they read?

1. For me it’s a way to be out of the office and, not on a course, where im I'm not in limited movement.

2. For me it’s a way to be out of the office and not on a course where im I'm not in limited movement.
    Welcome to the forum.

1. Are you certain that your native language is English? Your post was written in a way which suggests you are not a native speaker. If English is not your first language, please amend your member profile so that it shows correct information.

2. Your question didn't make sense. You said "I'm curious to know which of the sentences are (should have been "is") correct". That suggests that you thought that one of them was definitely correct but you then said "If neither ..." suggesting that you recognised the possibility that they are both incorrect. They are both incorrect.

3. "im" is not a word. The contraction of "I am" is "I'm". Always capitalise "I" (first person singular) and the apostrophe is very important.

4. I don't know what you mean by "I'm not in limited movement". Perhaps you mean "my movement is not restricted". If that is the case, then I suppose your sentence should read "For me, it's a way to be out of the office and (no comma here) not on a course (no comma required) where my movement is limited".
    Note, however, that even that doesn't make much sense. Why would your movement be limited on a course? I assume you mean a training course.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 02-Oct-2013 at 22:37.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

GEE-DEN is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I recognize the previous mistakes. I was typing fast.
    However, the two questions i have I do recognize are both wrong. But i was interestd in understanding why. The idea is at a conference I can walk around and my monilty is not limited. At a course it is not. I wonder of the mistake is in the structure, the use of commas or is it in the use of the term limited.

what would be the best way to say the sentence given my explanation.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

1. Are you certain that your native language is English? Your post was written in a way which suggests you are not a native speaker. If English is not your first language, please amend your member profile so that it shows correct information.

2. Your question didn't make sense. You said "I'm curious to know which of the sentences are (should have been "is") correct". That suggests that you thought that one of them was definitely correct but you then said "If neither ..." suggesting that you recognised the possibility that they are both incorrect. They are both incorrect.

3. "im" is not a word. The contraction of "I am" is "I'm". Always capitalise "I" (first person singular) and the apostrophe is very important.

4. I don't know what you mean by "I'm not in limited movement". Perhaps you mean "my movement is not restricted". If that is the case, then I suppose your sentence should read "For me, it's a way to be out of the office and (no comma here) not on a course (no comma required)
    where my movement is limited".
    Note, however, that even that doesn't make much sense. Why would your movement be limited on a course? I assume you mean a training course.

GEE-DEN is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

spelling mistakes again, sorry typing fast yet again!

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Please type slower then. It is very important, because you are a native English speaker, that learners can read your posts and see correct capitalisation, punctuation, spacing and spelling.

Please click "Edit Post" on your last two posts, correct the errors and then we will start to look at the content.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.