Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everybody! I am Ahmed from Egypt. I am a new member here, and it's my first post in this nice website of learning English. :) I am asking about differences between also, else, too and either. and where exactly they are placed in a sentence. Thank you in advance.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is a very broad question. Do you have specific uses in mind?

Modiham

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
That is a very broad question. Do you have specific uses in mind?

Thanks for your reply. In fact, I see many sentences which end weather with a "too" or a " either"..and I can't exactly determine what is the difference between them, and on the other hand I can't determine the difference between too and also. I mean, Can "Also" come at the end of a sentence as too and either? Thanks in advance.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forums, Modiham.:-D

Can "also" come at the end of a sentence like "too" and "either"?

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance.[/STRIKE] You don't need to thank us in advance. Just click the Like button when you get a useful reply.

All the words you are asking about can come anywhere in a sentence. 'Too' and 'also' are used in positive sentences and 'either' in negative sentences.

'I like bacon; my sister does, too.' 'My dad likes bacon also.'

'My mum doesn't eat meat; she doesn't eat fish either.'

That's just one way of using 'also', 'too' and 'either'. As Mike said, your original question is too broad. Try to ask us specific questions. We cannot replace a grammar book or give detailed courses of instruction.

Rover

Modiham

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks, Rover for your punctuation corrections and for your answer which I exactly wanted.

You have answered what I wanted to know. I didn't know that "either" can come with a negative sentence, and now I've already known. :) Finally, I am sorry for my misunderstanding of asking a broad question. :)

Modiham

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Welcome to the forums, Modiham.:-D

. As Mike said, your original question is too broad. Try to ask us specific questions. We cannot replace a grammar book or give detailed courses of instruction.

Rover

You gave me another use for "too", Mike and you were right, my question was too broad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.