Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1
    santonica is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    Firstly, I wanna thank all the administration staff for their work and all the participants in making it so easy just to connect and communicate.
    I have a serious problem in writing. In fact, I have made the IELTS exam 6 times one was general and made the nedded score and 5 times academic. every time , i get 5.5 band in writing however i can not recognize the problem or the defect.last time my score was quiet perfect except writing. I need overall band of 6.5 at least and only 6 minimum in every part.
    i got 7 listening, 7 reading , 6.5 speaking and 5.5 writing .
    according to these scores any recommendations to improve the writing ???

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    24,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    Quote Originally Posted by santonica View Post
    Firstly, I wanna thank all the administration staff for their work and all the participants in making it so easy just to connect and communicate.
    I have a serious problem in writing. In fact, I have made the IELTS exam 6 times one was general and made the nedded score and 5 times academic. every time , i get 5.5 band in writing however i can not recognize the problem or the defect.last time my score was quiet perfect except writing. I need overall band of 6.5 at least and only 6 minimum in every part.
    i got 7 listening, 7 reading , 6.5 speaking and 5.5 writing .
    according to these scores any recommendations to improve the writing ???
    Do you write the same way in your IELTS exam as you wrote in this post?
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  3. #3
    santonica is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Do you write the same way in your IELTS exam as you wrote in this post?
    No,in the exam, I generally tend to be cautious about punctuations and grammatical points.
    Although, your notice reminds me of my intension to write very long sentences ever. So, is this may be the only reason to get such score ?
    Last edited by santonica; 06-Oct-2013 at 17:39.

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    24,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    Quote Originally Posted by santonica View Post
    Firstly, I wanna want to thank all the administration staff for their work and all the participants in for making it so easy just to connect and communicate.

    I have a serious problem in when writing. In fact, I have made taken the IELTS exam 6 six times - one was general and made I got the nedded score I needed and 5 times five were academic. every Each time, I get got a 5.5 band in writing. However, I can not cannot recognize work out the problems or the defect errors. Last time, my score was quiet quite perfect except in the writing section. I need an overall band of at least 6.5 at least and only a minimum of 6 minimum in every each part.

    I got a 7 for listening, a 7 for reading, a 6.5 for speaking and a 5.5 for writing.

    according to Based on these scores, do you have any recommendations to improve the my writing? ???
    Without actually seeing a sample of writing you have done for the IELTS, it is difficult to say where you are going wrong. If you look at the corrections I have made to your post above, you will see where the errors were in that piece but you said you usually pay more attention in your tests.

    You can write practice pieces and post them in the Editing and Writing Topics section of this forum and then see if people make some corrections. Note that that section does not get quite as much attention as this section but it is the correct place to post such pieces. Do not make the pieces too long - the length of this post is about the longest we have time to deal with as we all do this in our free time.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  5. #5
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    Also, please make sure you say "This is a practice writing example to help me improve" so you can avoid the questions about whether it's a piece being turned in to a teacher.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  6. #6
    santonica is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Without actually seeing a sample of writing you have done for the IELTS, it is difficult to say where you are going wrong. If you look at the corrections I have made to your post above, you will see where the errors were in that piece but you said you usually pay more attention in your tests.

    You can write practice pieces and post them in the Editing and Writing Topics section of this forum and then see if people make some corrections. Note that that section does not get quite as much attention as this section but it is the correct place to post such pieces. Do not make the pieces too long - the length of this post is about the longest we have time to deal with as we all do this in our free time.
    Thank you so much.When I read your corrections, you simply, raised my souls. In fact, I am very impressed that simplicity is needed in my writing. Also, simple writing has better taste than complicated one.
    Please correct me if any mistakes were found in my posts.

  7. #7
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    24,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    Quote Originally Posted by santonica View Post
    Thank you so much. When I read your corrections, you it simply (no comma required here) raised lifted my souls soul. In fact, I am very impressed that simplicity is needed in my writing. Also, simple writing has is better taste than complicated one writing.
    Please correct me if any mistakes were found [which] you find in my posts.
    Simple sentences are good but if they are too simple they might not show that you understand how to use more complicated grammar and vocabulary. Note my amendments to your post. Generally (if you believe in that sort of thing), people have only one soul. It might have been better to say "it lifted my spirits".
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

  8. #8
    Live English is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Re: have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    Take care of tenses, subject-verb agreement and prepositions. These are the mistakes most students make.
    Advertisement link deleted by moderator.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 07-Oct-2013 at 19:21.

  9. #9
    santonica is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    I will post some writing tasks I have made. From the previous corrections,I have learned some points.However, I believe that my ideas also in tasks need improvement. So, are there any techniques to develop them ?
    I tried to read an English newspapers like the guardian and the economist but, I did not understand most idioms. In other words, I feel the style of writing is relatively different from what is needed in IELTS.

  10. #10
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    24,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: have a problem in academic IELTS writing

    Quote Originally Posted by santonica View Post
    I will post some writing tasks I have made. From the previous corrections, I have learned some points. However, I believe that my ideas also in tasks also need improvement. So, are there any techniques to develop them?

    I tried to read an English newspapers like The Guardian and The Economist but (no comma required here) I did not understand most of the idioms. In other words, I feel the style of writing is relatively different from what is needed in IELTS.
    Would you have trouble coming up with ideas for the task in your own language or only when you try to come up with ideas in English? You're right that newspaper writing is not really the kind of writing you will need (unless the task is to write a newspaper article) but reading a variety of English writing will still help you with vocabulary and to recognise grammar structures.
    Remember - correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing make posts much easier to read.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Essay] IELTS Academic Writing Example 1 Writing Task 2, please review
    By Martijn in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2013, 18:43
  2. [Essay] Academic Writing Sample Task 1, IELTS
    By vlad cretu in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2013, 17:36
  3. How to get IELTS Academic Writing band 8
    By khanh.ngo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2011, 21:53
  4. Anyone could correct my IELTS Academic Writing please? Thamks!!
    By IAM 84 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2011, 11:16
  5. Please check my writing---ACADEMIC WRITING IELTS TASK 1
    By MagicGirl86 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-Aug-2009, 06:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •