Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Could you please tell me how these "intonation graphs / schemes ...?" may be called in English? I need to write an instruction for such an exercise (the students are to write some sentences using transcription symbols first, then mark stressed syllables and tonic stress and then draw a similar intonation "scheme" as in the picture). So how should I put it:

Exercise 5. Transcribe the following sentences and mark sentence stress and tonic stress. Then draw ...??? a tonogram??? for each sentence.

:-?1135_html_1388d854.jpg

Last edited:

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Does tonogram sound OK?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you please tell me how these "intonation graphs / schemes ...?" may be called in English? I need to write an instruction for such an exercise (the students are to write some sentences using transcription symbols first, then mark stressed syllables and tonic stress and then draw a similar intonation "scheme" as in the picture). So how should I put it:

Exercise 5. Transcribe the following sentences and mark sentence stress and tonic stress. Then draw ...??? a tonogram??? for each sentence.

:-?View attachment 1615

I am not familiar enough with tonograms to answer your question. Is this really necessary for English education? One can indicate syllable stress by capitalization or by bolding.

an nounce ment
an NOUNCE ment

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why not give an example and then ask them to draw a similar diagram showing the stressed syllables and the intonation?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Why not give an example and then ask them to draw a similar diagram showing the stressed syllables and the intonation?
So it's a diagram then. ;-) Thank you for the word, Tdol. Yes, I can do it when introducing new phrases, but then they have to draw their own diagrams as homework and I need to give them instructions, that's what I need this word for.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am not familiar enough with tonograms to answer your question. Is this really necessary for English education? One can indicate syllable stress by capitalization or by bolding.

an nounce ment
an NOUNCE ment

Well, such diagrams are used to teach English intonation in many (or even most) Russian universities for students majoring in English. Capitalisation alone wouldn't help us show not only stressed syllables, but the differences in tones. There are falling and rising tones in your language, so how would you show a rising tone in a question with just capitalisation?

And we do need to teach our students English intonation, because Russian intonation patterns differ a lot from English ones. For example, most of Russian students (beginners) tend to ask Wh- questions with rising tone as if they can't hear well and ask the person to repeat what he said. The diagrams show both stressed syllables and tones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.