Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Do these sentences have the same meaning?

    Hello guys~

    Here are three sentences.
    1. There were tall trees surrounding the lake.
    2. There were tall trees which surrounded the lake.
    3. There were tall trees which were surrounding the lake.

    Are they grammatically correct?
    If so, do they have the same meaning?
    I'm looking foward to your answers.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Do these sentences have the same meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by jay2 View Post
    Hello guys~

    Here are three sentences.
    1. There were tall trees surrounding the lake.
    2. There were tall trees which surrounded the lake.
    3. There were tall trees which were surrounding the lake.

    Are they grammatically correct?
    If so, do they have the same meaning?
    I'm looking foward to your answers.
    Yes, same meaning. All correct. I prefer the first.

  2. anhnha's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: May 2012
    • Posts: 478
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Do these sentences have the same meaning?

    I wonder why #2 and #3 have the same meaning as they use different tenses.
    2. There were tall trees which surrounded the lake.
    3. There were tall trees which were surrounding the lake.
    I learn something almost every day on this site.

  3. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Do these sentences have the same meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by anhnha View Post
    I wonder why #2 and #3 have the same meaning as they use different tenses.
    2. There were tall trees which surrounded the lake.
    3. There were tall trees which were surrounding the lake.
    They have the same meaning because trees don't move. They surround the lake.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,229
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Do these sentences have the same meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    They have the same meaning because trees don't move. [...]
    Trees moved in Macbeth.
    "Macbeth shall never vanquished be, until Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill Shall come against him." And it happened.
    Whether one sentence means the same as another depends on several things: the context (including stylistic issues), your definition of 'meaning' and 'same', and how pedantic you want to be.
    I'd like to know more about the reason for the OP's question. Was he told that one sentence was wrong in a certain context? If he's told that they mean the same thing, will he assume that any one will do in a certain situation?

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Do these sentences have the same meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Trees moved in Macbeth.
    "Macbeth shall never vanquished be, until Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill Shall come against him." And it happened.
    Whether one sentence means the same as another depends on several things: the context (including stylistic issues), your definition of 'meaning' and 'same', and how pedantic you want to be.
    I'd like to know more about the reason for the OP's question. Was he told that one sentence was wrong in a certain context? If he's told that they mean the same thing, will he assume that any one will do in a certain situation?
    Macbeth, Shakespearian magic, and philosophy aside, my guess is he was describing trees around a lake.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 7
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Do these sentences have the same meaning?

    Let's say trees are controlled by a magical power in a fairy tale. So, the trees can move.
    In this situation, #1,2 and 3 still have the same meaning?

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,182
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Do these sentences have the same meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by jay2 View Post
    Let's say trees are controlled by a magical power in a fairy tale. So, the trees can move.
    In this situation, #1,2 and 3 still have the same meaning?
    Yes. They still haven't moved.

Similar Threads

  1. What is the meaning of the sentences?
    By Tan Elaine in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2013, 17:56
  2. Meaning of sentences!
    By eddy143 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2012, 12:33
  3. Meaning of sentences
    By Tan Elaine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2011, 12:41
  4. Meaning of some sentences!!!!
    By zoobinshid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Feb-2006, 04:53
  5. Meaning of some sentences
    By zoobinshid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2005, 12:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •