Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Hello everyone!

Recently I’ve decided to watch a video course about the Maya character animation system for the purpose of both developing my aural perception of English speech and getting some skills in Maya. It should be said that I’ve never attached any importance to my aural skills in English, so now I’m obviously paying for that, and the price is my inability of catching a lot of English words by ear. I need someone’s help in getting what the speaker’s saying . Furthermore, I’d like to know if there are some rules and ways which can help such guys like me perceive fast, fluent and sometimes inarticulate English speech correctly. By the way, a couple of techniques I’m using for that are stretching soundtracks and changing the pitch of sounds, though they don’t always help me. From here I’m going to post my transcripts of the speaker’s unclear words and phrases with links to the corresponding pieces of the recording. I’d appreciate it if anyone could correct and comment my tries.

Here is the first piece https://soundcloud.com/researcher76/inarticulatephrase, where I've heard the following:
...but the way you do it if you want (me?) to lead(teach?) you (I've got or how to get, code?) your interface in your preferences and get the preferences either by clicking this button near the bottom...

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
... the way you do it, if you want to, er, is you, er, go to your interface, in your preferences, and you get to preferences either by clicking this button down here at the bottom.

Denisius

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Emsr2d2, thank you for your reply, but I'm curious to know about the meaning of "is you" in the context of his sentence. Would you please explain it to me?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We don't always speak in perfect grammatical sentences- we change, hesitate, repeat ourselves, etc. Is you connects back to the way you do it. You could just say To do it, go to your interface....

Denisius

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
Tdol, through your answer I got the point of "is you". Thank you.
Here is the second piece https://soundcloud.com/researcher76/clickoff, and the transcript is ...click that off and that(it?) does what we have here...

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

DavidTan is right. The speaker says: "…they're all kinda bundled up into a project".
kinda = kind of

Status
Not open for further replies.