Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

How do native English speakers pronounce students' works (ie. works of students). I say there is no difference in pronunciation between pronunciation of students and students'. Somebody doesn't agree with me. Who's right?

Secondly, how do they pronounce Thomas's work (ie work of Thomas) . I say it is pronounced as "Thomases". Somebody doesn't agree with me. Who's right?

Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You are right in both cases.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Who is 'somebody'?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your appreciation is welcome, Enchanter, but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

Enchanter

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Your appreciation is welcome, Enchanter, but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

Sorry, I thought it would be kind of rude if I didn't thank explicitly (and I had clicked the Like button before I posted the thank you post).

Status
Not open for further replies.